Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

EWP 80 also good for laminowa oil cooling

Hanns Per

I built a Duratec 2.0 with 250hp with a Raceline wetsump and a laminowa oil cooler (the one which sits on top of the oil filter housing) and think of installing an electric water pump variable controlled from the ECU. However will this work for the oil cooler. While the EWP will give better water flow compared to the mechanical water pump at low RPM and low speed I am not sure about high RPM when driving on the motorway. With the mechanical waterpump the laminowa reduced the oil temp at constant 3500-4000 (motorway) from 110C to 100C on a 2.3 Duratec. Will the EWP do the same? It is controlled from the water temp at the rear exit of the cylinder block whereas with the mechanial water pump the water temp is controlled from the thermostat at the entry to the cylinder head and you have a constant with RPM rising water flow flow rate 

Thanks for Your feedback and thoughts Hanns Per 

The EWP will give a constant flow from idle up onto max rev's, I think you will benefit the most at high rev's. There is a reason why most people fit a larger pulley on high revving Duratec's as the flow get's disturbed by the high coolant flow.. Once fully up to temp. i can't see any problem where your measurement is taken, and that it would effect the oil cooler.

Thank You yes I see this benefit for the engine cooling, but for the oil cooler I think this is counterproductive because then at higher revs  less cooling water is going through the oil cooler compared to the mechanical water pump, hence less oil cooling