Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

lifting eyes for k-series

mcerbm

when lifting a k-series and 6 speed gearbox back into the car what is the bet method, slinging round engine or using lifting eyes screwed into the block? if so what size and where?

I have an engine hoist and a load leveler so just need an idea on best place to mount everything.

This is how I have done mine (3 times now) using a machine mart load leveller....

Long piece of chain at back slung under the joint between bell housing and gearbox. There is a step between the two components that helps hold the chain.

at the front I bolt two short pieces of chain to the horizontally threaded holes at the top/front of the head using M8 bolts and big washers. The bolts from memory are 35/40mm long. I tried to get the longest amount of thread in the head to clamp the bit of chain tightly without bottoming out in the hole.

The other thing to watch for is when you pick it up on the hoist the top of the gearbox case must be horizontal.

As I say its worked for me but may not be the formal / best method. The holes in the head were used on the rover production line to lift the engine/box albeit on a frame which also located against cast lugs on the head.

Ian