Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Weights and measures

mossy7

So... Out in the 7 today. Glorious weather it was too. I was able to get her weighed at a calibrated weigh bridge. Turns out she is 260kg on front axel and 290 kg on the rear. By my maths that's 550kg and some way off what Caterham say. For the record, it's an S3, 1.6 Sigma on 15 inch ten spokes, nearly a full tank of fuel and weighed without a passenger or driver aboard. I'm some way off the 280bhp per tonne the Caterham salesman sold me on. More power needed!! 

Have you got any of the following in your car?

carpet on tunnel or rear bulkhead, mats, doors, roof, jack, tools, tyre foam, stainless wing protectors...not enough carbon (4 x wings, nose cone)?

Not defending Caterham's marketing, but you can see if it could be removed or upgraded to the highest specification possible for weighing I bet it was.

Alstair

I also have leather seats and a lump of glass on the front. I guess you are right but perhaps they should be more up front, especially as they market cars based on a power to weight ratio suggesting all cars are 500kg. ( 270, 310, etc) 

In any case, if anyone wondered how much their Sigma engined S3 weighed in standard S or Roadsport spec, there ya go.

Power to weight is a good comparator - provided you never add a driver. If you do, light cars suffer more as the driver adds a bigger percentage of the original pure car weight.

Autocar once published a letter wot I wrote suggesting PTW should be based on car weight plus fluids and the nominal weight of a driver. Their road tests are also based on two people in the car - hence 7 acceleration figures will usually be quite a lot slower than Caterham's.

But yes, more power is always good!

Andy