Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Four Speed gearbox advice?

Stridey

My current gearbox, 4 speed, on a Crossflow, 'Roger King'd' to 150bhp from standard 135 has some signs of wear, after 45000 miles of use.  When it was recently serviced the garage did inspect it to see if it was linkages but it's not. Quoted £700 approx to repair. It graunches between 3rd and 2nd If I don't time it right.

​I've just sourced a low mileage (15,000) mile box.

Apart from getting this newer box inspected by a gearbox guru before fitting (no real urgency, car runs fine except for the slight probs) what are my options.

Are there any cog upgrades suitable?

As I have a tad more power than stock can I utilise a 'longer' 4th in any way? (I'm not after an overdrive feel just wondering if I could get a calmer motorway cruise). After 2 years of Cat ownership I've settled into enjoying 3rd a lot for the local twisters but also I do regular motorway miles.

Any thoughts and suggestions?

I am more than happy if the consensus is kept it stock, just inspect before fitting. 

As I have a tad more power than stock can I utilise a 'longer' 4th in any way?

I would guess that top is straight-through and therefore stuck at a ratio of 1. (The same issue came up with a six speed box very recently.)

That would leave the final drive and wheels/tyres if you want higher gearing in top...

Jonathan

Picked up box from seller and swung round to BGH Geartech in Cranbrook, Kent. Initial inspection fine. Will be stripped, refurbished where needed, stronger casting to gear lever fitted and put in my 7 nearby when I can. No rush. Will do clutch same time. 

So, only practical way for me to get better cruising is diff gear change? Any experience of this? Would it dull acceleration (bearing in mind it's a 150 bhp modded Crossflow used for street, no intention of tracking it.

It's difficult to predict effects on acceleration in real use.

What's your current first like? And would you generally like the gears closer or wider?

What's your current final drive ratio, and what tyres do you have? With the gear ratios and those you can calculate shift points etc as well as mph/1000 rpm and the effect on cruising.

Jonathan

BGH are excellent - Brian built my four speed box, which has Quaife  straight cut close ratio gears. Banshee wail on the first three gears (I looooove that sound!) but a very quiet top gear as it is 1:1. Brian can also do a mod that helps lubrication too. Can't quite remember what that is now!

I wouldn't entirely rule out the linkage though - any looseness anywhere and you can have gear selection problems. ISTR having something similar so if you can, check it all yourself or maybe get BGH to check it on the car. The more I think about it the more I think it could be this - check the thingy that stops you accidentally getting reverse gear too in case that has worked loose.

My first gear is 2.50 to 1 from memory so a standard first gear would easily cope with bigger rolling circumference tyres if you wanted a more relaxed cruising. Acceleration would be affected a bit and things like ride height would change (and the speedo under-read) but this may be an option for touring. Ideally a spare set of rear wheels would be the way to go so you can change back to smaller tyres when you want to go fast rather than tour. 

Good luck.

Andy

Thanks for the tips. Yes BGH looked great (sheds, smell of oil, loads of gears and a wealth of knowledge from the 3 guys there). Got their name from old threads on here. 

As Sevens and Classics have had the car in for a month this year being repaired they did comment on gear change after I asked them to look at it. They inspected it and reported it wasn't linkages. It's not an urgent repair as I'm used to it, I just know it could be better.

As the box is lower mileage than my current box and picked up for a bargain price I figured it perfect to get fixed on a bench at leisure by experts. 

BGH did say they experimented once by putting a higher gear on 3rd than 4th and lowering 4th to make an odd gated gearbox , which actually appeals to my sense of humour and love of idiosyncrasies... but they said it wasn't really strong. Nice idea though! 

Wheel size, I'll keep at 13" ...changing just rears doesn't appeal as I have the spare and like the 'classic' look.

ill probably try the diff thing at some stage, as and when that needs looking at. Maybe I'll put that down as next years 'fiddle'...

BGH did say they experimented once by putting a higher gear on 3rd than 4th and lowering 4th to make an odd gated gearbox , which actually appeals to my sense of humour and love of idiosyncrasies... but they said it wasn't really strong. Nice idea though! 

That is clever, and I'll be more careful with my choice of wording! :-)

One of the interesting features of the Lotus "queerbox" was the lack of constraint on ratios:

Queerbox2.png.8264e9ec72ded1961e27bc5c545fedb5.png

Queerbox1.png.646c38121d7c126a1d9d16284ed549b9.png

Jonathan