Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Side indicator in headlight - options?

Wrightpayne

My kit, delivered in March 1998, came with two side repeaters lamp units to fit onto the cycle wings. I never fitted them and not been a problem at MOT time. I dont like them anyway!

During a conversation with Tazio about the side repeaters in his headlights, he pointed out they were useful at preventing the indicators being left on as they are in line of sight whereas the ones in the forward facing pods are not.

This additional functionality has prompted me to reconsider fitting them and wonder what lamp units others have fitted in their headlights?

A few points on findings / thoughts so far...

- I have 5 3/4 SVC black headlights

- I dont want LED lights. Traditional bulbs please.

- Ford Transit Connect / Fiat Punto seem compact and reasonably priced

- Was thinking of using a starlock push on retainer to hold them in, which will mean I have to remove some plastic lugs from either of the above two lamps. It also means I only have to drill a round hole in the headlight, rather than a fancy shape to accept the original retaining method.

So questions..

- What bulb holder to use? The lamp units I've found on ebay, in the right colour, don't come with one. I believe the normal bulb used is a W5W capless.

- Tap into existing indicator wires or run new wire back to econoseal plugs on cruciform (which have an extra wire already for the side indicators)?   

- Are there any other non LED options people have used?

Any other installation advice / pictures welcome.

Regards

Ian

During a conversation with Tazio about the side repeaters in his headlights, he pointed out they were useful at preventing the indicators being left on as they are in line of sight whereas the ones in the forward facing pods are not.

That's clever. But I can just see the back of the indicator pods: how about putting the extra lamp there rather than in the headlight? Even if they were too low you'd still see them reflected in the headlamp bowl.

Jonathan

I don't like LED lamps, but I used a couple of LEDs in grommets like these ebay item 391162086836

Drill hole, paint edges, insert, maybe fix in with a bit of sealant.  Job done.  Flash at same rate as rest of the halogen bulbs as the flasher unit doesn't notice it.  And unlikely to stop working as often as the wing mounted bulb ones used too.

I actually bought them some years ago from a local (to me) seller, but those looked the same item on a quick look.

So no  . . and no.   Sorry.

I bought a selection of colours - red and white ones for marker lights on my trailer.  Which I've still to fit around 10yrs later . . . used white ones, with suitable switches, in the knee panels under the dash on the seven.  When you drop something in the dark, rain, somewhere up a mountain in Austria . . . quick flick of switch and loads of footwell illumination to find it again  ;-)