Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Throttle position sensor rover R400 -- request for assistance

FatVik

Hello,

I have been suffering from stalling issues for the past few years on my car. Once the car is up to temperature, when I am not applying throttle, the car will stall. I have finally decided to try and get it fixed.

From having spoken to (one of) the two Steves and Mick and John at Redline and having done some very brief reading, I am hoping that swapping out the TPS will help.

The part that I removed from my car appears to be an old rover item (JZX 3491). Unfortunately, Redline don't stock these, they did however find me an online supplier that does stock an item that looks the same and is stated on the website as able to work with many Fords and Rovers (the JXZ part number is one of the ones listed on this online site). The item shown is just the bit that does the sensing, none of the wiring is shown in their pictures.

My question is, shall I just order the part John found online? Shall I call Caterham and buy whatever they recommend? (I suppose I will need to change the wiring if the part is different). Or is there a third option please? Have any of you K series owners removed the TPS? If so do you recall what it might have looked like?

I have not yet mustered the courage to use a multimeter to test the TPS that I took out of my car.... perhaps in the next few months :)

-FatVik

• 3 weeks later...

I think this TPS is used in many applications and comes under many different part numbers. Just have a look at some of them for sale on EBay. I've recently purchased a genuine rover version for £22.50 I think it was. It is however not spring loaded, which to be honest seemed to feel better when I fitted it. You will need a multimeter though as suggested.

The TPS reset suggested by SM25T does not apply to R400K - This has to be done either by modifying the map or better still by moving the TPS to match load site 0 on the map. Not difficult though.

Another note: Although you can measure voltage / resistance with a multimiter, you can't really check a potentiometer without an oscilloscope. In the good old days you, on your stereo, when the volume control failed you heard this scratching noise. Imagine what happens if the ECU sees a voltage jumping all around load sites. Especially at low opening degrees this would have huge impact on the drivability.