Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Headlamps not working - help needed re wiring colours

Nick Woods

My headlamps are working intermittently at the moment. The symptom is that the main on off switch turns on the sidelights but not the headlamps.

I suspect a bad connection somewhere, especially as its intermittent, and after fiddling with connections etc it worked for a while but then went off again. Eventually we fed the permanent live feed that goes into the headlamp flashers into the main-dip switch and that got us home.

However as all our rewiring was done in the dark I'm not sure which wire is which anymore *confused*

Can someone please let me know the colours of the main feed wire into the on-off switch, the main-dip switch and the headlamp flashers ?

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport, back on the road at last. See pictures of it being rebuilt here

Edited by - Nick Woods on 18 Feb 2003 22:57:40

Nick , This is not an uncommon problem, oftern its the switch its self you can take them apart and clean them up . But its a lot better to replace as there not very expensive.

main feed, 12v surpply BROWN

earth, BLACK.

ok i,l try and explain this as best i can *confused*.

you have a five pin plug , O1 O2

O3 O4 O5

O1/NO WIRE.

O2/ BROWN BLUE

O3/BLACK

O4/RED

O5/BLUE.

HOPE THIS HELPS *eek*, Give me a ring if you get stuck , i have a couple of Caterham wiring diag.s *thumbup*

Edited by - Marc Hicks on 18 Feb 2003 23:16:35

Thanks Mark

I've had a quick check using a test lamp and this is what I've found

The feed into the main lights on-off switch is ok, and both outputs (ie side and main lights) from it go on and off with the switch.

However, the feed that goes into the main-dip switch is intermittent, and I have seen a voltage and then not seen a voltage despite the output from the on-off switch being present all the while.

Therefore I'm reasonably happy that the on-off switch isnt the problem.

The lights work fine when fed the main-dip switch is connected to the always-on feed that goes to the lamp flashers, so I'm fairly happy its not the main-dip switch either

I'm working on the assumption that there must be something between the output of the on-off switch and the input of the main-dip switch.

🤔 Are there any relays or wiring junctions between the output of the on-off switch and the input of the main-dip switch. 🤔

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport, back on the road at last. See pictures of it being rebuilt here

Nick

Had similar problem on my 1998 1.6k - loose relay (under the dash passenger side) - just a shot in the dark *cool*

Try to trace the routes - this is my setup

LIGHT SWITCH

BROWN/BLUE - main 12v power(from Ignition Switch) + Flasher Switch

RED - side lights

BLUE - relay (pin86)

FLASHER SWITCH

BROWN BLUE - Light switch

BLUE/WHITE - Main Beam + Dip switch

DIP SWITCH

BLUE/WHITE - Main Beam + Flasher Switch

BLUE - Relay (pin 87)

BLUE/RED - Dipped Beam

RELAY

PIN 30 - 12v supply

PIN 85 - Earth

PIN 86 - Light switch

PIN 87 - Dip switch

There are 2 power supplies to the Main Beam.

1 = The flasher switch has 12v suppy constantly (via the ignition switch through the light switch)

2 = The light switch activates the relay (via pin 86 & earth).

When activated the relay connects pin 30 to pin 87 to give power to the dip switch.

Hope this helps

Alan

Thanks Alan *thumbup*

I was rather hoping that there was a relay somewhere between the two switches but I probably would have thought of looking under the passenger side of the dash for it.

I'll have a look round tonight and see if it is the problem

Nick

I've just spent a frustrating hour out in the garage. Initially i removed and replaced what I think is the light relay (2nd from the top) and it seemed to work ok. After putting the light switches back (they are soooooo fiddly) I tried again but they had stopped working, so i swapped the top two relays over (they are the same type) and the lights started working again.

I couldnt see any loose wires or connections although I ended up working with an inspection lamp as the main light in the garage failed *mad*

I'm hoping that two new relays (i'll replace both because I'm not sure which is which anymore) and new light switches will cure it. I'll also have a better look for loose wires at the weekend.

Nick

My indicators packed up last summer and it turned out to be a loose relay. I blamed my brother-in-law since he was the last passenger *tongue* 😬

Nick,

Amazing what lengths you'll go to to fabricate a decent alibi for your none show last night. Just be honest like me and tell them you won't drive it in the dark/salt/wet/winter (delete as applicable) 😬 😬 😬 😬 *tongue* *tongue*

Hah ! Remember I have a witness this time *cool* (if only we had a 'tongue sticking out' smilie) 😬 😬 😬

When we stopped at Nicks Diner at i thought there were lumps of ice on the rear wings - they turned out to be salt crystals *eek* *eek*.

Having said that if it had been peeing down with rain I probably would have wimped out, I hate driving a night in the wet no matter what car I'm in

I had one small 'brown trouser' moment on the way home when we slid on some ice on one of the back roads near Wymondham but fortunately it was only a short skid. It did bring back some unpleasant memories though 😳

Back to the lights, I thought it was a loose relay but it did it again a few minutes later, so i'm going to buy new ones just to rule out a dodgy one. The only other thing is that the wiring was disturbed when the car was rebuilt, so something else may have worked just a little bit loose

Nick