Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best connectors for adding shift lights.

Doc007

What's the best type/size of electrical connector to use when adding a set of shift lights to the back of the tacho?

Does anyone know what colour the;

Earth

Signal

Switched power

wires should be?

I could have a crack at wiring them in but wiring diagrams are not my forte.

Have you got the shift lights yet, and what sort are they?

Have you already had the tachometer out and looked at the back? Is it one big proprietary connector?

What model of 7 and which dash? Do you have the wiring diagram already? In the meantime: "standard" wiring colours, which are probably right, but not guaranteed.

Connectors: Scotchlok and soldering* generally deprecated, but opinions vary. 

Jonathan

* Pace Edd China and Orange County Choppers!

I have just had a peak behind the tacho and there were only 4 wires! Result. Plus a much bigger black-sheathed cable. Dunno what that was for.

So, going by your link;

Red/White-

Black/White-Ignition coil/signal

Black-Earth

Green-Accessories via ignition switch/power

I looked at the windscreen wiring hole in the scuttle and depending how wide the wire is I reckon it might fit alongside.

Pretty sure mine was std spade connectors. I made up 3 mini adaptor cables that connected to the back of the tacho, the loom and the shift lights. I did this to avoid hacking the loom and aid reversion if I took off the dre shift lights. 

I drilled a small hole in the scuttle, lined with a little grommet and velcro'd the shift lights to the scuttle.

I can try and take a photo under the dash tomorrow.

Ian

Pretty sure mine was std spade connectors. I made up 3 mini adaptor cables that connected to the back of the tacho, the loom and the shift lights.

Yes, that's neat. If there are existing spade connectors you can do it with those Y-pieces made up on the bench or by using piggyback spade bits.

The earth and switched power can come from anywhere convenient, which increases the chance of finding an existing spade connector. The tachometer signal is different: i'm just waiting to hear if that's going to need a splice of some sort.

Jonathan

I wasn't planning on fiddling with the white plastic block connector that plugs into the back of the tacho. I was going to cut the wires before they get to it (say leave two inches) and combine the proximal end with the DRE wires into the male end of a connector and plug that into the proximal portion of wire via a female connector.

Does that make sense?

Alternatively, I could expose the tacho wires and solder on the DRE wires.

Yes.

How good are you at soldering? I know that many experts do it that way but a bad joint is a hassle.

You could use double bullet connectors. But how about crimp butt connectors, and I'd use the type with built-in heat shrink insulation?

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/pIAAAOxyi-ZTX6Ob/s-l1600.jpg

Jonathan (no relation)

Spooky. You must have read my mind!

I picked up some small bullet connectors this afternoon.

And I didn't know that the plastic cover was heat shrink!

I have just been into the garage and checked and (despite not saying so on the packaging) they are heat shrink.

Bonus.

I should man up and dust off my soldering skills but I'd probably get a better result with crimping.

"Butt" (as in the photo) or "bullet"?

If they're "butt" have a look down one end... can you see a seam? They work better if the seam ends up on a flat bit of the crimp rather than the bend.

And if you're putting two wires in one end make sure it can fit both bits of insulated cable, and twist the cores together.

I'd have a good play and test all the moves before doing it for real even if it costs a few.

You'll be fine.

Jonathan

Ah, with the above connectors do you stick the wires in either end, crimp and heat shrink?

Yes.

My connectors have a male and female component that you slip together. So when I screw up I can unplug them easily!

Sound like bullet connectors:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzAwWDMwMA==/z/LSoAAOSwQItUCIXN/%24_35.JPG?set_id=2

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...