Click here if you are having website access problems ×

7" Rims...

will_2111

Hi all, 

Looking at getting some of the wheels as below:

http://www.johnbrownwheels.com/products/jbw-70-x-13-superlight.html

Is there any reservation I should have with the 7" width? I believe the standard width is to go with 6"?

Has anyone used these wheels before? Are they any good?

I'll be getting some 185 70r13 tyres (yet to choose) to go with the rims.

Thanks

• Area Representative

Wil,

I don't have experience of these wheels, but the size should work, bearing in mind that you may need to move the wings on the stays to centralise the wing over the tyre, as, at an offset of -7, the extra width will all be outwards.

However, why 185/70? there is not a great choice available in that size at all.

With a 7" wide rim you could go for a wider section tyre with a smaller profile that would still give you ground clearance, but.......would 7" fit the fronts?

Also, a 185 section tyre on a 7" wide rim seems a little narrow/wide???

If you do go for 185/70x13 I would be interested to know your choice.

• Area Representative

Wil,

What wheels and tyres do you currently have?

6" wide is quite adequate with a 185 section tyre.

Do you have adjustable platforms on your existing dampers? If ground clearance is your primary concern, then I'd be looking to adjust it rather than change wheels and tyres.

Hi All,

Currently got Prisoner Wheels with 205/45/R16 tyres.

I did try some 10 spoke anthracite wheels, but the ground clearance was simply too low.

Unfortunatley I don't have adjustable dampers, which is the root cause of a lot of this!

If you are saying 6" width is adequate, i may go with this on the front, and 7" on the rear?

What size tyres would you suggest for this setup?

I'm also wondering what brand would be most appropriate? I don't want to have too much grip, so wouldn't mind a harder wearing tyre.

Regards,

Wil

• Area Representative

16's - they will be the Vauxhall HPC wheels then, not "Prisoner".

15's with 195/45 CR500s are a good match for the car. I'd be looking to make the ride height adjustable either by biting the bullet and buying a new adjustable platform kit, or buying a complete set of speings and dampers and either simply swapping, or moving the adjustable platforms onto your existing dampers.

Sticking a "wanted" here or FB may also find a set, as, I'm sure, plenty of folks have upgraded and have the original on the shelf.

If you're going to go 13", then, depending on the type of tyre you're to use, either standard road tyres or something along the lines of CR500, ZZS, R888, A048,  you'll be fine with 6" all around and 175/55, 185/55, or 185/60 respectively.

I'm currently running ZZS's with 185/55 front and 215/55 rear, but I think it is questionable if the bigger rears are actually of any benefit of not. Previously I've always used the same size all around.