Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Clutch pedal 'buzz'

thompster

My K-series clutch pedal has developed an annoying buzz / vibration above a certain engine speed.  If I lift the pedal or put pressure on to tension the cable it goes away.  If I only touch it lightly it amplifies the vibration.

The pedal has an awful lot of end float on the shaft and a small amount of play in the bush.  Is this likely to be the problem and if so what do people do to fix it?   Shim the pedal/shaft?  Live with it?

Thanks all.

Domus - you're right, v. annoying.

Those extra springs look useful although I think I'd still get a brief rattle each time I loaded the pedal.   I found the bush on CC parts so will start with that.  I initially thought it was impending crb failure but there's no other symptoms so hopefully just the pedal.

Hi JV.  I read the word doc you kindly linked to.  I get the aim of it, but wasn't sure why a 7 would be a special case when 'normal' cars don't need the CRB under slight load.  I'll read it again later and see what I missed.  For my particular problem I'm sure some downward tension would help - though fixing the root cause (hopefully just the bush) would be better!

Well, the answer is that modern cars have CRBs that run in constant contact with the clutch diaphragm fingers, held that way by a pre-load. This is true of hydraulic clutches (like, say, the Mondeo) and cable clutches (like, say, the Sierra). In the Sierra, the pre-load is applied by a cable-tensioning quadrant on the clutch pedal. That tension is what's missing in cable-clutch 7s, and is what my mod supplies.

JV