Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A-frame bend/kink......

Drumster

I happened to notice the a-frame isn't as straight as it probably once was. Nothing else appears out of the ordinary including the de dion tube. Saw one post which said take it off and bent it back, but is this really acceptable?

Advice please.

xlarge_Aframe.JPG.2565245e374ee1feb37441c5b995595b.JPG

So all A frames are supposed to be dead straight?

My 96 X/F with Ital axle has had a similar curve in its A frame since I bought at 9K miles, it now has 26K on it and the curve is just the same,  tyre wear is even and it has passed all its MOTs first time.  Is the advice to replace it or  leave things alone?

Not all Caterhams are the same, please be really sure of the requirements of your particular car.

I have a 1982 car and the  A frame is "curved", always has been since the day it arrived, don't suppose Arch Motors decided to bend it just for the fun of it.

However if one side is bent, and the other is straight I would be doing some investigating, has the car been incorrectly raised on a jack?

Admittedly from the picture you post it appears the "bend" is in an upward direction, unlike that on my car, where both diagonal tubes are curved the same amount down from the forward end, and rising to the A frame locating bracket, if this bend is on one side only, as mentioned above, do some investigation.

Good luck.

Nigel.