Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series Thermostat

dom69

A word of caution; don't drill the hole too big. A friend had a (tested and perfectly functional) stat with a 3-4mm hole in it and was getting significant overcooling at high speed. Tried all sorts of different cooling configurations but in the end went back to close to an OEM setup but replaced the stat with one with a 2mm home and the problem went away. The hole is only to let air escape. If the hole is too big, it's as though the stat can't close fully. My engines have 2mm holes and are easy to fill.

There is lots in the archives on how best to fill the system - here's my usual approach....

1) Raise the front of the car and take the brass bung out of the top of the rad

2) Fill slowly via the heater hose that attaches to the t stat housing - this means water is entering the system at the lowest point possible and with your 2mm hole in the t stat, it shouldn't trap any air. Once it dribbles out of the heater/water rail connect up the hose. I dont have a heater so the hose connects between the t stat housing and water rail and I fill via a bleed tee. A bleed tee is a good idea with the heater too, fitted in the uppermost hose

3) Carry on filling via the hole in the top of the rad till sufficient in expansion bottle, screw on the expansion cap. Keep filling rad till full and put the bung back in.

4) Squish top and bottom rad hoses several times to try and shift any residual air there may be.

Ian