Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Installing Emerald M3DK

Steve-B

• Leadership Team

Does anybody have a suitable map for a non-modified 1800 Supersport running on KV6 TBs, with or without IACV?

I'm currently finding the most successful map supplied with the Emerald to be J3.fig (Jonnty Lyons map) but I'm sure this must be running a little rich? An additional problem is keeping the idle high enough whilst cold - I have the IACV presently locked in the closed position - this map doesn't feature IACV.

Also, what is the correct mspb figure for standard 1800 (straw) injectors - I mistakedly managed to wipe clean the ecu configuration whilst "playing" *confused*?

Stu.

Johntys original map is for a 1600..

MSPB vaue.. 61

I may have a map for a SS on TBs.. mail me off blat.

Open the IACV a little in the live adjustments page by using pg/up in manual control mode and then disconnect it, then use igntion advance to control idle, put 0 in the igntion map at idle, then the ECU will use the appropriate amount of advance, more when cold, less when hot.

Gary, if the porting is OK.. 180BHP

Mav, someone has just cancelled so I may have.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 20 Feb 2003 18:35:14

well it's installed and working now. loaded V7's VHPD map.

niggling things:

M3DK into an SV must be mounted at a 45 degree angle flat to use existing MEMS holes. looks a bit odd but seems very sturdy .

it needs a wire run from radiator switch to it to turn on fan. fan wires hard together just now to keep temperature down, thanks to V7 for this hint..

need to play with cold starting maps a bit. not today ...

SIGNIFICANT power / smoothness in VHPD now... *thumbup*...not that police officer didn't notice it when he pulled me over on M40 *thumbdown* but he didn't give me a ticket .... *cool*

Steve

Metalic Black SV-VHPD *idea* click here to see our pictures....

Be careful running the fan wire direct to the ECU, the switched earth provided is only very low current and designed to switch a relay not a device like a fan that has a heavy current draw, you risk damage to the ECU.

Best solution is to use a simple relay, put the two connectors from the thermo switch on the main relay connectors, bridge the power wire to the switch power connector on the relay and run a wire from the ECU to the earth side of the relay switch circuit, then the ECU just switches the relay, same number of wires, but much safer. Mount the realy on the expansion bottle mount bolt.

Oily

There's a spare... er... space in the fuse box for one more relay. It would be a bit of a faff to get to but I managed as I had the scuttle off at the time. It makes it easier to pick up a high current switched or permanent live from there too.

I've tested mine and it works. So I know what I'm talking about... for once. *thumbup* 😬

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

• Leadership Team

Re the vacuum hose - with the TBs and the mems installation, the small hose runs from the fuel rail, is connected to each of the TBs, then via a fuel trap to the mems.

The Emerald does not have facility for the vacuum hose, therefore you can leave out the long section of hose and the fuel trap. Remove the plastic T-piece feeding the hose into the TB to cylinder no.4 and feed the hose directly in from the T-piece feeding no.3, you may need to use a slightly longer piece - use a section of the excess hose you have.

Does this make sense?

Stu.

Stu, it's not needed. The hose described gives you a little higher fuel pressure when you open the throttle quickly, often termed "acceleration fuelling/enrichment". The M3DK has this built in as a function and reads the speed of throttle opening via the throttle position sensor. The MEMS used the vacuum for its MAP sensor.

When I moved to M3DK with my original SLR throttle bodies, I took all the hoses off, left the top of the fuel pressure regulator unterminated and drilled/tapped some grub srews into the holes left by the hose nipples on the TB's.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Extra complexity.

Feeding the FPR a vacuum signal is kinda useful because, when the fuel injectors squirt fuel into a partial vacuum, the deeper the vacuum the deeper the effective pressure of the fuel rail. This means that at idle you can get better granularity of injector opening and your injectors get full capacity when they need it at WOT.

However...

The However is quite an important However.

The vacuum was an inadequate way of sensing throttle opening, because the cam profiles are sufficiently wild to cause significant inlet tract pressure pulses. Why on earth would you want to feed part of your fuelling control system a wildly fluctuating pressure input. The truth of the matter is that you get better fuelling if you ignore vacuum altogther. Discuss...

I think pressure pulses with standard cam will be equally as bad, truth is the 'system' (plenum, pipe sensor dynamics) integrate the pressure signal and the EMS will have further input hardware/software conditioning to ensure that the signal does not vary wildley. The 'system' may not work so well once the plenum has been removed and repalced with thorttle bodies but the other components could be tuned to make it work properly once again.

I would much rather have a properly conditioned manifold pressure signal prediciting mass air flow than throttle position.

further discuss...

KenP

Experience of many mapped systems which use MAP to sense load shows that anything other than the mildest cams leads to erratic idle and progression and poor throttle response regardless of whether implemented via a plenum or TBs

Simply replacing the system with an Alpha-n type suitably mapped using TPS transforms the idle, progression and throttle response.

Oily