Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Installing Emerald M3DK

Steve-B

I'm reading the book for my new M3DK, and have some questions that I'm hoping someone can answer. I have a SV 1.8 K VHPD with whatever throttles that come from caterham on it.

🤔: how do i know if I have an IACV, and where is it if I do 🤔

🤔: if i have an IACV, how do i reset it to a fully shut position 🤔

🤔: do i need to just install a single wire from pin 19 (shift indicator) to some wire on the back of the tachometer to get that light to light up as my car already has it, it's just connected by CC when built 🤔

🤔: do i want to set the shiftlight to come on when the soft limiter comes into play 🤔

🤔: how do i download a VHPD map into it that has been sent to me 🤔

🤔: anyone come up with a clever way to keep the MEMS attached in case of M3DK failure/problems so it's a quick reconnect 🤔

i'm sure that when i start this later i'll have more questions but this would be of great help before i start pulling connectors.

Steve

Metalic Black SV-VHPD *idea* click here to see our pictures....

Edited by - w1scb on 18 Feb 2003 15:27:36

Colin I I don't have a clue if i have that loom, the car was built by the factory and delivered to us in May 2002. Is that an issue that I need to be aware of here 🤔

Steve

Edited by - w1scb on 18 Feb 2003 15:37:39

Steve

The reason I asked the question was because I picked my Emerald up from Dave Andrews on Saturday and I am waiting for the special adaptor to enable connection between the ECU and the EU3 loom. I cant say what loom you have but May 2002 I think will have the later EU3 loom. You did say however that yours was a VHPD and I'm not certain but that engine may still use the EU2 loom, in which case you will be OK.

FWIW my kit came with a range of maps covering different states of engine tune and a VHPD map is amongst them. Where did you buy the ECU from? and was the connector mentioned?

I'm sure Oily will be along in a minute to put you right.

: how do i know if I have an IACV, and where is it if I do

You don't have an Idle Air Control Valve with throttle bodies. Idle is controlled electronically

: if i have an IACV, how do i reset it to a fully shut position

See above

: do i need to just install a single wire from pin 19 (shift indicator) to some wire on the back of the tachometer to get that light to light up as my car already has it, it's just connected by CC when built

I seem to recall I didn't need to install an extra wire because it's already there as yoiu say.

: do i want to set the shiftlight to come on when the soft limiter comes into play

I set my warning light about 100 revs before the soft limiter because by the time you've responded you've often hit the hard limiter anyway.

: how do i download a VHPD map into it that has been sent to me

Copy the file into the M3DK directory on your PC (assuming you have the software and if you haven't you can download it from Emerald's website). You can then find it after firing up the software and it's intuitive from there. I think you need the ignition on.

: anyone come up with a clever way to keep the MEMS attached in case of M3DK failure/problems so it's a quick reconnect

I can't see it being necessar. AFAIK they are very reliable - mine is anyway!

Ken

Your IACV has a black plug with six pins of which five are used.

The top row (by the clip) is:

orange-grey - brown pink - pink-blue

The bottom row is:

orange-blue - - orange-green

The unit is a black cylinder about three inches long. It will have pipework coming from the filter backplate and onward pipework distributed to each of the throttle bodies or to the manifold, downstream of the throttle butterflies.

To set it manually, you need to plug the Emerald in, run the software and open the map file.

Use the F5 key to get to the idle control information page. There is an IACV section in the bottom right quadrant and you can select the IACV control method to "Manual (Fixed Position)" here. You then need to upload the map to the Emerald unit.

With the ignition switched on and the cable plugged in, select the menu option: "Connection - Program unit".

The map will upload. Switch off the ignition and switch back on again.

By moving to the F8 (live adjustments page) you can now alter the IACV position using the up and down arrow keys.

Steve, if you fancy a drive to the Midlands I would be more than happy to help you to install it.

To answer some of your questions (those that I know). Incidentally my numbers don't match up to yours:

1. Eu2 or EU3?

The VHPD is EU2. As it came with a MEMS and not the new MBE ECU then it's directly plug compatible.

2. IACV

All VHPD's have an IACV if they don't have roller throttle bodies. This is as PC describes. The maps I sent to you work very well with the IACV. You don't need to "prime" it or anything if you use my maps. When you flick the ignition on, don't hit the starter until you hear the ticking stop. Be aware that there are two types of ticking... a lound one from the rear which is the fuel pump. This stays on longer. The IACV (at the front) is very quiet but audible and stops after 5 secs or thereabouts. Once this has stopped the IACV is at it's fully open position (actually 95% on my map IIRC). Hit the starter and stand back (joking *cool*).

3. Uploading maps

*arrowright*Plug laptop into M3DK with supplied lead.

*arrowright*Switch on ignition, but do not start engine. Light should turn green on M3DK.

*arrowright*Start M3DK software. Accept com1 port.

*arrowright*Click FILE then OPEN MAP FILE.

*arrowright*Select and accept "Marston VHPD.fig" on your laptop (assuming you haven't got vernier pulleys yet).

*arrowright*Click CONNECTION then PROGRAM ECU

Note: I can't remember how good this map was at starting. I was tweeking my map all through to "V7-5.fig" where I got it pretty good. Check the settings in that map for the IACV (in ADDITIONAL SETTINGS then IDLE AIR CONTROL) and manually repeat them in the "Marston VHPD.fig" map. Don't try to use any of the other maps as they were for a successively non-standard VHPD.

4. Shiftlight

If you can find the shiftlight cable on the back of the rev counter, connect it to ground. If it lights up, then use that one for the connection to the Emerald. The Emerald is a sink device.

As far as settings for the shiftlight... well it's really up to you. I have tried it all over the place but as my max power is a little short of my max revs, I have the following settings:

Shiftlight *arrowright* 7800

Soft limiter *arrowright* 7900

Hard limiter *arrowright* 8000

I'm looking forward to the sequential shift lights at which time I'll bugger about with them until I'm blue in the face. Like this *arrowright* 😬

5. Mems or M3DK?

Originally, until I was adequately satisfied with the M3DK's performance to remove the MEMS altogether, I left the MEMS in place and tie-wrapped the M3DK to it. Then I could swap and change to my hearts's content (or until I was blue in the face again 😬).

I'm free tonight or Saturday if you fancy coming over. Alternatively, give me a call anytime and I'll offer what help I can.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Edited by - V7 SLR on 18 Feb 2003 17:06:53

cheers nigel, i posted questions here not wanting to swamp you with more as you've been incredibly helpful with all of this mate seems i owe you and a few others more pints

at Stoneleigh or LtL 2003

Steve

Steve, you're more than welcome to ask as many Q's as you have, but I understand you're wanting to get more opinions. It's how I learned. PC doesn't like the use of the IACV (it is adding unnecessary complexity) but I had one with the KV6 throttle bodies so I used it, and eventually got it working OK, but now I've not got one (Jenveys) I shall be following the advice he has already written about cold starts etc.

Colin, what VHPD maps have you been given?

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

V7, on the disc that came with the kit are 22 various maps, 8 of which are for Vauxhall and Ford variants and one Rover!

The others range from 1400 with standard plenum to VHPD. Interestingly one is yours

V7-3fig. The others are VHPD 184BHP : 1.8 with ported head, TBs and 4.1 exhaust.

There are also standard ones with and without cat. Just about every permutation you can think of.

This was a new Emerald kit purchased from DA so presumably anyone that has purchased the same has the same disc as me.

*thumbup*

Gary,

Although yours wont be an EU3, the tell-tale signs are

i) plug top coils

ii) plastic pencil style injectors

iii) Large square electrical connector by fuel rail

iv) cam phase sensor in the cam cover

v) modifed cam cover with large plastic over cover.

vi) no distributor cap

vii) no normal mems connector on the loom

viii) map sensor on the plenum

Dave

Colin, V7-3.fig is not an official Emerald map. Each time I have adjusted my map either at home or at Emerald I have saved it with an incremental file-name. If you open it up inside the M3D software and read the comments, you can see the spec. Be aware that I tweeked this particular one to suit larger injectors than standard.

If you have a VHPD or VHPD-spec engine I'd be pleased to mail you my full "suite" of maps. Each has a suitable explanation of the spec of engine it was aimed at. I don't read BC as often as my email so email me direct.

The map I have advised Steve to start with is called "Marston VHPD.fig" (named before I started to use the "V7-X.fig" style) and is for a basic VHPD engine. The next one, V7-1.fig, is similar but incorporates retimed cams (using Piper vernier cam pulleys). The differences between the 2 are minimal in truth.

Better still might be V7-2.fig because this extends the range of the IACV which didn't appear to open far enough on a cold start to keep the engine alive until it had warmed up. All maps after V7-2.fig are for the uprated injectors. Admitedly the mspb (microseconds per bit) figure ought to level out the differences between maps (as long as you pick the mspb figure to suit your injectors) but in truth we wanted to reduce the injector duration and V7-4.fig was the result of a 4 hour mapping session (taking my "home made" V7-3.fig as a starter for 10).

You're most welcome to call me if you want to discuss.

Thanks V7,

I think what Emerald have done is put together a sample of maps for various different engine specs, which is a great starting point for someone like myself. It comes pre loaded with a standard 1.8 SS map Ithink. Mine however is not a VHPD (unfortunately) but a couple of the maps that are not the disc are appropriate should provide a decent a decent base map base.

When the connector arrives and its all connected I would be glad to pick your brains. Its something Ive never tackled before, but the instruction book that comes with it is fairly comprehensive. However there's no substitute for experience!.

Thanks

*thumbup*

I'm going to start with the Martson VHPD map as he's spent quite a bit of time sorting out annoyances i've already observed. V7 you at home Friday if I can call around to do this? I've got a mid-day committment with Penn 7s Saturday and the weather Sunday looks to be pants.

Steve

Edited by - w1scb on 20 Feb 2003 13:18:29

Thanks for the EU3 description- sounds like I definitely have an EU2.

My engine (1.8) has a ported head on standard valves, VHPD bodies, EBD 4:2:1 exhaust, and 285 cams. Any guesstimates on power outputs?

I have another ported head which is ready for a big valve job, but I need to save the pennies... an M3DK is higher up the shopping list at the moment!

V7, I'd like a copy of your suite of VHPD maps if you think you've got one close to my engine spec?

Cheers,

Gary.