Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma starter motor

slawrence

My 2011 sigma starter motor disengages repeatedly on starting. Making a rapid tak,tak, tak sound when trying to start. So i guess its trying to engage but failing, i have tried rocking the car in gear to see if its stuck, ...

I replaced the battery a month or so ago. I am no expert, so any advice would be helpfull.

Simon

It worked normally for a time after the new battery was fitted? 

1. Have a good look at the starter and give it a wiggle.
  2. What's the battery voltage while cranking?
  3. Disconnect, inspect and clean the contacts of all the relevant thick wires including the earths, and the connections to both terminals of the battery.

Jonathan

Put your headlights on and crank. Do the lights dim out?

I agree about the desirability of that test. But a multimeter only costs £15, will make you a lot more confident in the result, and enable you to share it with us! 

Yes, there are several reports of terminally duff new batteries. I don't know the root cause.

i have tried rocking the car in gear to see if its stuck

Post #2 assumes it wasn't... (I had a Minor 1000 convertible with a spanner in the glove box specifically to turn the end whenever this happened.)

Jonathan

Thanks jonathan and Tom, yes it started fine with the new battery fitted, and i have the battery hooked up to a trickle charger and it seems fine, not constantly charging.

I will check terminals tonight if i get a chance and measure voltage, but the starter is firing in, but not engaging and then repeating, so i get a rapid tap, tap, tap, tap.

Will check voltage and contacts.

Thanks once again

If the minimum voltage during cranking is <10.5 V please could you also tell us the voltage with everything off and at 3,000 rpm (if it ever starts).

... i have the battery hooked up to a trickle charger...

Traditional trickle charger or conditioning charger? If the former beware of overcharging, especially with the little batteries that most of us have in 7s.

Jonathan

It sounds exactly like the clip you sent John Vine and i will check if it is a trickle or conditioning charger, john kay, pretty sure its a conditioning charger, as have had it for nearly 2 years with old battery and it kept it fine. I guess it could be the charger that has become faulty and has killed both batteries? I will try and start it from another battery first to see if it is the battery. Thanks for the help.