Click here if you are having website access problems ×

missing alternator spacer - k-series

mcerbm

Looking in my engine bay I found to my surprise that the adjustment bracket for the alternator was floating in free space.

/sites/default/files/images/users/1260/large_IMG_2094.jpg

Does anyone know what part / spacer / fasteners should go here?

Luckily the bracket holding the alternator was pretty stiff keeping the tension in the belt.

First of all, check the bolt hasn't sheared off in the block ... it's a surprisingly common failure, I've seen three of them fail like that.

The spacer comes as part of the "Link Adjuster" - if it's an EU3 engine it will be YLX100141 - I'm not sure if EU2 engines used the same part and it's hard to see in your picture, I know very early ones used a Metro alternator arrangement but I think the spacer bush part should be the same.

They are surprisingly expensive (£32 from Rimmer) and hard to come by used. They do occasionally pop up on eBay. Several places do sell an "upgraded" version like this but it's still not a cheap fix.

If you're stuck for getting hold of one, I've got a used one in my spares box you can have for £10. It's not the shiniest but it will do the job. Send me a BM if you want it.

• Area Representative

I also lost my bolt some time ago. Rimmer Bros are another alternative for the standard part or you could upgrade to this. Much easier to adjust than the original item.

Edited to say I must type quicker. Also you can always get one at your local scrapyard. 

I dont have the engine just now its out of the car and getting work done but i'm pretty sure it wasnt a sheared bolt from memory. The link adjuster I have just has a hole where the spacer should be, presumably the bolt vibrated free and the spacer went with it.

my car is EU2 and the link just looks like this

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/alternators/1333-alternator-tensioner-rover.html?search_query=alternator&results=53