Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wire Wheels

Felixgogo

If one wished to create a Lotus Seven Series One 'replica' from a much newer car, What would be the approach to fitting wire wheels?

I'm aware that the S1 wire wheels are 15x4 48 spoke MGA wheels, but I'm not clear on which hubs are used.

I wouldn't want to use bolt on adaptors - as i believe these introduce wider offset.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Ian

bolt on adaptors as in that kit are commonly used, though I think machining is involved to ensure the offset is right - Mike Brotherwood did mine. Regarding the offset, remember that as 15in wheels the requirements are different due to kingpin inclination - generally a larger diameter wheel will need less offset than a smaller one.

I think the original steel wheels were 3.5, whereas the optional wires were 4in. Many people use 4.5in as they are significantly stronger for racing.

are you aware that the biggest giveaway will be the fact that the side of the car near the seats will be straight whereas the S1 has a kink in it? if you are going ahead with a replica then we should talk about rear wings - I have a set of GRP ones that have been cut to fit a flat-sided car which I was about to repair but might be better for you if I can find some others (or find the money for ali!)

Thanks all, food for thought there.

Paul, I'm not sure what you mean by the 'kink' in the side - can you point me to some pics? I'm aware the radius arms fasten differently on a S1, but I think this would be covered by the rear wings.

I'd prefer aluminum wings, but Axmister have stopped doing these, so I'd need a different source, but the grp ones you have are interesting - what would you be looking for these?

FJ Fairman in Bodmin do the panels. The kink is because the radius arms are on the outside of the upright, I've tried to take a picture of mine but it doesn't show it that well, hopefully you can see what I mean, the cockpit sides taper in by the seat area:

https://goo.gl/photos/yCdwZMNLMVB3kPyd7

(sorry still haven't figured out a workaround google photos preventing posting images to forums so you'll have to click the link)

oh, and I don't yet know whether I'll be selling the wings, I'd need to find some others first that are a better fit! But if I can, then they would be a better bet for you - there seems little point in me repairing wings to fit the kink in the body side, and you getting some S1 wings and cutting them the same as the ones I already have *smile*

:-)

It's different with different image servers, and I still haven't cracked them all.

I use Safari on macOS and keep telling it to show the image of interest in a new tab (control-click and pick from menu) until it has lost all of its navigation elements etc and is simply an image in a format that BlatChat will display.

Jonathan

Paul,

Many thanks - that downward view explains the kink perfectly. 

I've poured over many S1 pictures and I confess I had not noticed that before.

I guess most pictures are from the side and hide it.

But I'm very interested in your S1,  what's the history?  Any more pictures? 

I'm out in HK at the moment so the Internet is my only outlet for my interest in S1 Sevens!

my project is a bitsa around a discarded original chassis, so no history, and worth a lot less when done, but I'm happy with that as I'm spending a lot less than one with paperwork, and mine will actually have more original Lotus in it than most of the historied cars around! Buying early cars is an expensive minefield, not least because in quite a few cases there is more than one car making a claim to a chassis number...

I'll stick a thread up about it in Chit chat when I get a bit of time.