Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.6 k series air box options?

2004Academy80

You could investigate whether it possible to swop the TB to the other side of the plenum and then fabricate a feed to the TB from the nose.  I don't know whether you can do this with the plastic plenum, but you could with the older metal Supersport plenum as it could be dissassembled easily. Obvious electrical cable and throttle cable lengths might limit what options are open.  

Ive seen pictures of something that resembles an ice cream tub around the airfilter, sealing it against the vents in the bonnet.  Probably effective, but difficult to made it look nice.  

However, given the state of tune of a typical Caterham K engine (ie standard or slightly warmed Superport) - will it make any difference?  Fitting vernier pulleys or a light weight flywheel will be much more effective use of your energies IMHO.  

Thanks for the replies.

Vernier pulleys, SS Cams (well, Piper 633's) and Kmaps ecu were fitted the other weekend.  

I agree on, lightened flywheel, I'd also like a 4-2-1 but I was thinking of low cost options that will help whilst I enjoy the current mods.

I was hoping for a K series version of the Sigma airbox that is currently available. 

I saw this TB to Airbox hose on caterhamparts so thought something must exist.

That hose is what was used to link the TB to a standard Rover air box with paper air filter inside mounted in front of the heater, usually seen on 1.4 (sometimes 1.6) K engined cars so 105 or 115hp.

There was once a metal cast plenum with forward facing TB, seen on the last 1400 K LE cars around 1996. If on eBay you see a 56mm TB that's one of its applications however it's said not to flow any better than the 52mm or modified 48mm item, it wasn't EU3 like your car so I'm pretty sure you can only run them on EU1 ecu's as the idle control is different.

I do understand your interest in a plenum or cold air feed although the underbonnet of a Seven is quite an airy place compared to many cars.

As Nick above says when someone mentioned 'K and airbox' I immediately thought Bernard Scouse but then read your post :-)

edit: I can't find a picture of a K engine bay with one fitted but here's the same box fitted to an injection VX car, its that black angled ribbed box thing between the engine and the bulkhead https://goo.gl/images/IBds8W it would point to it being good for at least 175hp but no better position wise for cold air :-(