Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vecta immobiliser on a Super Sprint

Peter Blundell

Easily ? Hmmmm

Mine dumped me on the side of the road in northern France. I managed to get it into a friendly nearby workshop and removed it there. I am a self confessed electrical novice but by unwrapping looms and following wire colours it proved possible to remove. It took a few hours in the Lotus position though.

The design of the Vecta is based on having many wires that go nowhere thus making it time consuming for a would be thief to sort out. You will have the same situation. Locate the actual imobiliser (a round tube about 30mm dia and 125mm long from memory - mine was taped to the wiper motor mount IIRC and start tracing the wires which will all be the same colour (black probably). When it is removed you will be left with cut wires in the original car loom which then need re splicing (following the wire colours)

Good luck ....

(disconnect the battery first !)

I just replaced it with a more modern system, lazy, but the new ones fitters cut it out. I think the Vecta has a life limit, Gradually it became more random.

id still want an imobillser fitted mind, new one just needs the fob on my key ring as the detector is wrapped around the steering column.

I replaced the Vecta with a Toad Powerkey last year.  It's not the sort of task I would attempt myself and a professional fitter did the job for about £160.  Removing and replacing the scuttle was the worst part.  The new unit makes dealing with stop-start traffic a lot easier as you don't have to keep removing the ignition key (to trigger the immobiliser) each time you want to restart.  Main reason for changing was liklihood we would get stuck somewhere on the continent when the Vecta failed.  I read before about ECR's experiences and knew I'd have no hope of that sort of fix.