Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What a weekend

ewenm

Fantastic

Drove Bath to London setting off at 8am Saturday. Roof down, well wrapped up, great roads (esp B390 Warminster - Chitterne - Stonehenge). Fantastic race in Hyde Park (dodging war protesters) which my team won. Great meal out in Richmond Saturday, fun drive home to Bath Sunday afternoon and curry Sunday night *thumbup* *thumbup*

Oh, and hello to the Ferrari driver who waved/flashed on the A36 yesterday.

Hope everyone else had a great weekend.

Ewen. *smile*

P979TMV - As seen on current Caterham advert, back of LF

Hope everyone else had a great weekend.

I was part of a ' Sam is Emigrating' party, where we went from pub to pub in a big trailer towed by a tractor.

Apparently the second trip weighed 6.2 tonnes *eek*

Sam was very happy, pleased that he'd managed to get at least 10 tonnes of mates out over the weekend as a whole.

You can take the man out of the farm, but.....etc. *smile*

And sunny blatting on satda daytime. Life is sweet *cool*

Mark

My Caterham Silver Jubilee No. 7 is here with Mavis, under 'Mark's Cars'.

Mark - glad to see our country ways are being preserved.

Tractors are also great as a temporary break-down service. It always pays to know a mate with a tractor to give you a tow now and again.

My father used to tell us how he would go to young farmer dances wearing dinner suite and in his old LandRover.

As a country lad did you ever have a safety video played to you at school about playing on farms like we did. There was a gruesome shot of a kid travelling on a low loader trailer and falling over the guard and between the tractor and trailer wheels and another of one drowning in the slurry pit....remember kids don't have nightmares.

You had video's WOW. We had wood-cut engravings of wood cutters carving engravings. I must admit I enjoy the occasional episode of BBC's 999 when a Farmer(or suitably macho type) has an arm/leg/head pulled off by some machine. They always disregard any saftey but always magage to drive the tractor back to the farm to get help......even when they are stuck underneath it 😬

I apolojies for my spelling...I'm a bit fick

When I say video - I mean pictures drawn on the window with a torch behind. We had to jump up and down to make the pictures move - those were the days.

Quite agree about people having terrible injuries yet managing to plough the rest of the field while holding their arm on with their teeth.

There are a few blokes like that in the village and surrounding area where I grew up. My dad even managed to get run over by some sort of farming machinary and survived to tell the tale.

As a nipper we were living in Brum (not the car), so there were no 'don't play with slurry' videos, just 'Local Boy in the Photograph' type warnings about how lethal trains can be.

The first film I remember up here was the usual seasonal special on fireworks, now they don't need to bother as 'Casualty', 'Holby City' and 'ER' do a much better job of scaring children *wink*

Mark

My Caterham Silver Jubilee No. 7 is here with Mavis, under 'Mark's Cars'.

After being involved in some agricultural vehicle design, I've been shocked that manufacturers seem to have no inclination to 'clean up' the pointy and nasty part of Tractor/machines to make them safer. It's cost I guess. I remember seeing a safty sticker in a 60's MF cab......"IN THE EVENT OF THE VEHICLE TURNING OVER, KEEP HOLD OF THE STEERING WHEEL"...quite common but still worth a chortle!

If I see another I'll steal for Mark's 7.....although I'll have to change it to.....When this vehicle is turning over...

Boonie- Your Dad sounds a bit nasty....chasing the Peasents with the combine?

I apolojies for my spelling...I'm a bit fick

Edited by - Doug jackson on 17 Feb 2003 17:18:23