Click here if you are having website access problems ×

FIA cut off wiring problem?

TomB

I've just realised/ remembered after reconnecting the battery, that my FIA key doesn't completely kill the electrics on the 7. I can turn the lights on and sound the horn when the cut off key is 'off' and no keys are in the ignition. There is nothing else powered as far as I can tell. So I presume the cut off key should completely kill all electrics? 

Any obvious places to look for a solution? I wonder if the smalller wires connecting to the switch are not on the correct spade connectors  on the back of the switch? I don't really want to go tearing the loom apart again as I've just got it all neat and tidy! 

Yes I have - there is the feed to the starter release modification and a loom feed that presumably provides the positive side to the engine and chassis looms.  I'll have to take the knee panel off and have a look what's going on at the back of the switch. 

Mine has brown and purple wires at the FIA that interrupt the alternator feed when you throw the switch. Mine sounds like it was originally wired like yours with a thick brown wire onto the battery. Like you I also thought it was wrong. I never tried it but thought throwing the switch wouldnt kill the engine hence I extended the brown wire and connected to the solenoid.

TBH the manual was pretty sketchy on FIA switch fitment and description didn't match the wires I had.

there should also be a resistor at the FIA that puts a load across the alternator when the switch is thrown to prevent damaging the electric components within (rectifier). Its a white oblong porcelain block about 40mm by 10mm by 10mm.

Regards

Ian

Ive got the resistor wired in and it works as it should in so far that the FIA key cuts the engine, ignition, & fuel pump and the engine stops dead. But parts of the dashboard and lighting circuits remain live with no FIA key or ignition key engaged. Im sure it should completely kill the entire car.  Will have another look when I get the chance.