Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

SS K Series Camshafts

p.mole1

Hi Nick,

The cylinder head has Piper Spring caps and solid followers. My current engine is a 1.4SS wet liner block  which I am told is the best version, however it's on standard pistons so I have to keep the revs down. The 280 duration cam is a no go unless I throw caution the wind!

I assume the power band in a 1.4 would be over 8000 rpm also the 774 cam only has 9.1mm lift, I think it may have been some sort of Rover homologation cam.  I could use my SS cams but they are they are the early ones with the feeble looking 8mm bolts and I was under the assumption that 633/1320 were superior. Ideally I would like to fit throttle bodies,then at later date if I want more power I can just transfer everything over.I do have the 6 speed gearbox which suits this combination.

• Area Representative

I guess it depends on what type of engine you are wanting and for what purpose?

I too have a 1.4 fitted with a DVA head, TBs and 1994 spec SS cams (timed with verniers) and find it a very tractable little engine - DVA raised the rev limit to 7800rpm (up from 7600), but I rarely, if ever, go that high, although the car is still pulling strongly well over 7000!

If it helps, below are the commonly quoted cams and their respective duration & lift - 633s/1320s are slightly better than SS cams, but I'm not sure how different that actually feels in practice?

Type                                   duration              lift

Stock.                                  248                       8.8mm

Tf135.                                 252                       9.3mm

VVC exhaust                      252                       9.65mm

BP270.                                260                       9.6mm

SuperSport                         266                       9.6mm

633.                                     264                       10mm

1320.                                   268                       10mm

Hi Nick,

Thanks sounds exactly like what I am trying to create 

I use the car for the road and odd track day, it was feeling a bit flat however I have been collecting parts and I fitted a set of verniers and and a 4-2-1 exhaust, these made a large improvement. I have a Janspeed cylinder head and have acquired a a M3D K6 ECU. I may as well go for the throttle bodies! Which ever camshaft I use I will have to shim it! bugger. The Janspeed head was a 1.4 motorsport version and has had the tappet oil ways blocked so I will have to use solid followers.

• Area Representative

I have spec sheets for both 633 and 1320 cams listing 10.03 and 10.9mm of lift respectively.

My own experience of a 1600 with 633's, a ported head, plastic plenum, and SS MEMS ECU, was of peak power at just about the 7600 limiter.

I've also seen a dyno plot of a similar speced 1600, but with 1320's, which did not look like it had peaked before the limiter (but the 1320's had adversely affected the mid range torque)

Therefore, a 1400 with 633's and ported head is likely to produce peak power well over 7600rpm. If you don't want to rev the engine more, you need more CC's.....

• 3 weeks later...

Removed my SS camshafts and tried fitting them to my Janspeed head. I have encountered a problem, the Janspeed head came with cams and was correctly shimmed but the SS camshafts have a much larger base circle! So I do not have a clearance to measure as the valve is held open even when the tappet is sitting on the bottom of the base circle. looks like I will need 16 shims but how will I be able to work out the required clearance, am I missing something?

Hi Oily, I will be in touch, I needed to buy a selection of shims to measure my required clearances.

I tried measuring the clearance without a shim in place but found I couldn't do it with any great accuracy as i had to use a whole selection of feeler gauges to judge the gap and I don't have any access to slip gauges. I will use the kit to work out what I need.