Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ital replacement

Duckpit

• 1 month later...

To finish this one off.

Yes I have bought an English axle, but no I dont intend to use it unless the Ital fails.

After much research I spoke to Mark at Jigsaw Racing, and as I thought it is not the half shafts that fail but the CWP on the Caterham fitted axles, they do not have the weaker halfshafts that were originally fitted.

I have bought a German made aftermarket 4.11 CWP and am assured that only one of these have expired in the past, due to driver hitting the wrong gear. And yes they have been used with cars with over 200 brake.

If the CWP doesn't fail and the halfshafts do, then I will get the Rakeway conversion. The way I use the car make it unlikely the wheels will come off.

If all fails then I have the English axle.

N

I built my first Seven in 1988 using a English RS 2000 axle & diff 3.54. Later changed to 3.89 & sometimes used a 4.1.

The tunnel should have been modified but I didn't realise it would caus a problem at the time as this wasn't a Caterham combination. Using the Sport box with the English axle.

Prop flange & diff nose did scrape the tunnel & modified itself a bit but not enough to caus much worry.

I wanted the extra strength of the English axle but it is 30lb heavier that the Ital.

Car now sold & spare diffs. But still have a couple of Half Shafts if they any use to you.

Gary