Click here if you are having website access problems ×

car train

Johan atsma

From Amsterdam I'm planning a trip tru the alps with my Caterham and want to take the Motorail from Dusseldorf to Innsbruck. On their website is mentioned that it takes a minimum clearance from the bottom of the car and the bottom of the train carriage of at least 11 cm. My caterham reaches only 9 cm where the sump is at the oil plug. Is this a big problem? any experiences?

• Area Representative

We had considered the Dusseldorf-Innsbruck motorail for our sevens a few years ago when we last went to do the Stelvio trip but were put off by 1) clearance required to get across the ramp on/off the train, 2) someone else having to load our cars for us and 3) open carriages and possible risk of damage/theft en-route.  So we had a road trip and drove down which was fine but a bit of a 2 day slog.

Speaking to Caterham friends subsequently who have used the same motorail for this route, none of them had any problems at all and had a very enjoyable (overnight) trip after dinner in Dusseldorf. Obviously not a full endorsement but I think we will be happy to book on to the train when we head that way again.

Thanks

Nick

Nick, for info when I've used them in the past with the Ferraris the clearance has not been an issue and they always let us load them ourselves. They are open trucks and whilst theft from cars should be considered the cars also get very dirty from general dirt and grime, plus when we went it was a Diesel engine that pumped out black soot/ oil over the cars!

I have used the Den Boche to Alexandria train (Dutch and did not run in 2016) and the French Paris to Nice train.  Both in an MG rather than the 7 but the low ground clearance limit still applies.  On both trips we loaded and unloaded the car ourselves, taking responsibility for any damage. I have heard of the staff using a rolling 100mm block under cars and refusing some.   Could try increasing the tyre pressure before getting to the station !  

• 6 months later...

Had a great trip. I did not have any problems getting on and off the train and had a pleasurable journey to Innsbruck! Loaded and unloaded the car myself, No mentionable dirt on the car as result of the trip. Traveling the alps from cortina d'ampezzo via lake Como, aosta and mont Blanc tunnel to vezelay in france and then up north back to Amsterdam thru the north of france which is Seven Heaven in my opinion:: beautifull roads, sight All around(unlike hedged England!) and virtually no other cars in sight, we loved it!

any linkys for this/these tickets?

When I have looked at this in the past, the 10cm was (in that case) about the chocking of the wheels, not the loading.

for the Paris departures this looks depressing

except it says "Do you have a cabrio or a classic car, please indicate this on the bookingform. These cars will be placed on the bottom deck. The maximum height of a cabrio is 155cm. A soft top is not allowed."