Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How to get noise level to 98dbs for Goodwood?

dt7

Has anyone got any advice on how I can get my 1600x/f to 98dbs for a track day at Goodwood? (I hear they are a bit hot on noise levels).

I have a standard 1600 x/f with a 2 into 1 exhaust going into a competition exhaust (5" diameter). I have no idea what the dbs level is but it sounds noisy to me and I don't want to get to Goodwood only to find I can't do the track day.

Anyone got any ideas to achieve the required 98db level or tell me where I can get the Db level measured? I live in South Bucks.

dt7

Well aside form all the technical things you can no doubt do, make sure you lie when they ask you the redline limit, knocking a a couple of thousand revs off the top should help *wink* (the drive by meters arn;t as fussy as the static test they do)

Mark

Am trying to do a similar thing dt7. I was measured at 101dB for my 1700SS. Comp. exhaust with not a lot of packing left !

Trying to get it down so I can do the 98 days. Have been talking to AMMO of Raceco exhaust (and Blatchat) fame , he has suggested that the larger Raceco exhaust may well do the trick. Will be ordering as soon as I have got the dosh together.

Having done the sums, I should be able to recoup the cost in reduced fees fairly quickly.

Agree with Mark though, my engine only revs to 5500, honest. Even then I wasn't even marginal.

Has anyone got under 98dB with a side exit?

My 1.6K was well under it with a rear exit (which I've still got if anyone wants it) but I've not seen another Caterham at a 98dB day. The problem is that for reasons well documented Goodwood are pretty strict.

Now that I've become power crazed and afflicted by upgraditis it's all I can do to get under 105dB...... *eek*

V7 HPD

Pinky used to be a regular at Goodwood on 98Db days with a long 7" Techcraft silencer on his tweaked 1.6K I believe, having been out in it I was amazed at how quiet it was.

I think 98Db is fairly easy achieve on a 1700SS with a decent size silencer, either 6" or 7" and 30" long regularly repacked should do the job.

Hi Rob!

Yes, using a 7" techcraft on my 1.6K with TB's, I got down to 96dB static with an improvement in the torque curve as well!

I'm running a SLR now and the biggest problem I have had with that is induction noise. You can always lie about the red line (most 7 owners say it's about 6000 rpm) and the two drive by noise meters on the outside of the track are not a problem (one on Fordwater and one on Lavant Striaght), the big problem is the drive by after the chicane, which is on the inside of the track and therefore measuring induction: my car was doing 100.3 dB's there 😳 which can only be reduced by lifting *mad* or a new airbox config.

There are of course noisy days (105 dB) but these tend to be more expensive and track time is more limited.

Nick

I've been ignoring the 98db days for the same reason, but I have just been making an assumption about my exhaust noise (it's a standard rear exit on a 1700SS, but again it sounds bloody noisy to me).

How easy is it to tweak a rear exit pipe for the day?

Bob Stark

Supersprinter

I got my Supersprint down from 104db to 98/99 db with a techcraft fitted by Chris Wheeler at the 7 workshop, I say 98/99 cos I think I blew some of the stuffing out of it fairly quickly but it definitely got 98 before my first track day with it fitted. I too have a 4-2-1 manifold. I didn't think it sounded any quieter myself but I think all I can hear is inlet roar anyway...

Would give him a bell tho *thumbup*

Teaching you all how to do it properly, flares and a crossflow...

Edited by - jaseb on 18 Feb 2003 08:41:48

Back in 2000 I failed the Goodwood noise test with my 1600 Crossflow Classic. At the time it was fitted with a rear exiting 4 inch exhaust and registered 103 db. The lollowing year I had the car fitted with a 6 inch non-repackable side exiting exhaust (by Redline in Caterham) and it has now passed noise tests at Goodwood and Hullavington. I seem to get readings in the order of 96 db now.

The chances of pulling the wool over the eyes of the marshalls at Goodwood are slim. They've had years of experience of Crossflows and they always insist on you taking the revs to 4,500 rpm. They are very helpful, however, and do what they can to help you get past the test.

I was at Goodwood yesterday with my 1.8 Vauxhall 8 valve. 95 dB with a brand new techcraft 6"x30" silencer from the 7 Workshop. Previously had about 101dB (with the standard 5" Caterham job) which makes sense as that's the SVA limit and the car's only been on the road 9 months.

/Phil.