Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Advice on SLA v gel battery for the 7

Drumster

Short story I ordered an NP20-12 (Sealed Lead Acid) from batterymasters and they have sent an NPG22-12 (Gel type).

As far as I'm aware (but may be completely wrong) they require different chargers/conditioners? I have had the NP20-12s in my 7 for the last 6 years and maintained them on a CSI Airflow automatic battery management conditioner (which was also very good at keeping the Banner battery alive). This conditioner is around 15 years old and I suspect pre-dates gel batteries.

I'm currently awaiting a call back from CSI on the suitability of my charger for both SLA and Gel batteries but in the meantime.....

I requested that Battery Masters exchange the one they sent and was told the Gel battery was an upgrade and that the SLA was out of stock. In questioning all of this I have received the following and would like to know whether someone is pulling my plonker...

Dear customer,

The battery supplied is a GEL CELL, sealed, maintenance free battery, which is a type of sealed lead Acid battery.

There is a some common confusion regarding sealed lead acid batteries or AGM batteries because different manufactures call them by different names; some of the more common names are Sealed Gel, DRY GEL Cell, sealed regulated valve", "dry cell", "non spillable", and "Valve Regulated Lead Acid" batteries. 

Wet Cell (flooded), Gel Cell, and Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) are various versions of the lead acid battery. 

The Gel Cell and the AGM batteries are specialty batteries that typically cost twice as much as a premium wet cell. However they store very well and do not tend to sulfate or degrade as easily as wet cell. There is little chance of a hydrogen gas explosion or corrosion when using these batteries; these are the safest lead acid batteries you can use. 

Can anybody confirm or deny the above 'advice'?

Ta

That's lifted from batterystuff.

The Wikipedia pages on types of battery are accurate. (Or were the last time I checked when someone suggests that the G in AGM stands for Gel.)

As far as I'm aware (but may be completely wrong) they require different chargers/conditioners?

The CTEK MXS 5.0 is probably the most widely used conditioning charger for 7s. That can charge conventional lead-acid batteries, AGM type and gel type. Which model is your Airflow?

Jonathan

PS: The battery I'd recommend for 7s is the current Powervamp Clubsport. But the time for lithium may well have come.

Current conditioner is the CSI Airflow 5016-01 looks very similar (if not identical) to the one on their site which does state suitability for SLA and Gel, however, the manual that came with mine states for all types of 12v lead acid batteries (but no mention of Gel)

Hmmm... if it isn't explicit in the instructions I'd ask the manufacturer.

(If you look at the programs in the CTEK guide you'll see that it's said to be suitable for traditional, AGM and gel types, and that the charging programs are only slightly different for the different types. The CSI Airflow is probably similar, and I'd be happy to use it.)

Jonathan