Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Compressor

Gridgway

Graham,

You need one that is at least 8CFM of pressure with about a 20 litre tank. This should be a bare minimum, as in future should you wish to do any paint spraying you will have to either upgrade or keep waiting for the tank to build up the pressure again.

The best place to look is Machine Mart as they have a wide range at very competitive prices.

I waxoiled my 7 using it this week and using a special underseal gun(£20) and compressor. it only took me 45 mins to do the whole car *thumbup* *thumbup*.

Only had to put the waxoil container in a bucket of hot water to let it thin out and it worked a treat.

My compressor is one of the best tools i've ever bought. I dont know how i managed without it.

Azure Blue SV 1800 X-Power 140bhp.

Graham

I bought a Machine Mart Tiger 150 I think, does the job very well and only £150 or so, don't go for the oil free ones, only regret is the noise, if your budget will stretch buy one of the 'silent' ones, or I'll sell you my Tiger and I'll buy one of the quiet ones *smile*

Mark

Agree with Scott, 8cfm minimum, I would perhaps go for a slightly larger tank, perhaps 50/80 litre but 20/25 will do, if space or cost is an issue. Be careful if you are looking for something beyond about 10/12cfm as the brochures don't always mention that these often need 3 phase electric , so check . A friend of mine got caught on this one

With compressors bigger is definitely best! It tends to be something you only buy once so go for the best you can afford. Places like Machine Mart tend to categorise their compressors by theoretical CFM (cubic feet per minute) that is calculated by the size of the piston/stroke and the running RPM. This is usually a higher figure than the actual delivery. Be careful when making comparisons between makes.

If you can run to it, buy one with a belt drive. There are a couple of reasons for this. Firstly, as someone has already mentioned the direct drive ones are very noisy. Secondly, my mate who works on compressors tells me that if the motor OR pump goes on a direct drive one – its usefully the motor, the replacement cost is more than the cost of a new compressor. With a belt drive one you can always replace the motor.

As Graham has already said you are limited on a domestic supply just how big you can go. From a 13 AMP plug the practical limit is 2 HP although you can run some 3 HP, but it’s on the limit. You can of course run a separate supply from the mains (like in the case of a shower or cooker) but this all adds to the cost.

To sum up, a 2 HP belt drive with as big a tank as you can get is the ideal for home garage use. Once you get it you will wonder how you ever did without it! Its great for getting the BBQ going quickly!

Tony

Buying a Compressor is always Stressfull. Everyone always wants to buy one capable of inflating a Zepplin, or "painting" a car.. which v few of us EVER do, Cuz it's a huge amount of V tedious work and the Catalysed paints currentlly used are so Toxic that regulations require painters to have Dedicated Air breathing systems..(if they don't they simply die! yes it's happened, all too often Sadly) just try and sneak that by the Missus.. let alone pay for it.. just to save the few coins that the Pros at a Shop would charge for a painting task.

Having said all that CFM is pressure dependant CFM at 40psi is less than half that at 90psi.. where Air tools operate. Cast iron pumps live forever as do belt driven ones. Get a BRAND name , it will matter in a couple of years when bits start to shake off, or when you may actually require a maintenance part.

Chris,

I used the hole 5 litre can i bought. The underneath of the boot is wooden so i coated it well and along with everything else the 5 litres did it fine. I could have used less but thought that if i was going to the trouble of putting the car on ramps and getting waxoil on me also i would just do it once and do a good job. *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

I dare any water to try to corrode my 7. *tongue* *tongue* *tongue*

Azure Blue SV 1800 X-Power 140bhp.

Edited by - scott tully on 16 Feb 2003 20:50:43

thanks for all the info. Is there a 2nd hand market for this stuff? I quite like buying good 2nd hand gear.

Graham

PS Steve, I owe you a tenner and a scalextric race...sorry about that! I am busy this week, then on hols for a week, what about the week after?