Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Thundersport mohair half hood SV measurements

David aka Blue7

I was considering buying a mohair half hood from Thundersport ... love the blue piping, but our measurements do not match.  They particularly required their measurement "A" which is taken from the front of the windscreen to the middle of the roll bar.  My CSR measures 900 mm to the middle of the roll bar (920 mm to rear of the roll bar) but Thundersport say this is non standard and their standard measurement is 875 mm.  They say the mohair will stretch a bit ... but that is 25 mm difference or 1" in old money and that is (excuse the pun) stretching a point!  So I have cancelled.

As a matter of interest could a few of you guys with SV's post your measurement from top front of screen to middle of the roll bar, just as a matter of interest?  My softbits for 7s half hood has fitted all three of my CSR's without problem, which goes back over 8 years?I

My metric SV is 88cm front edge of windscreen to middle of rollbar so I'm pretty close to Thundersports measurements. I recently got a Soft bits hood which if anything is around 10mm too long, putting it at 89cm. All seems you stack up with your measurements/experiences. HTH.

Hi David

From all the answers it seems like there is a 20-25 mm variance ... maybe I'm not driving fast enough to force the windscreen to a more acute angle :)  I suppose it could be either windscreen or roll bar adjustment, I will have to take a look.

I have at least managed to source the GT seats by getting Thundersport to make two for me.  Last year CC said they were no longer available for my new CSR, not popular enough and yet miraculously "one" appeared on the new revamped CC online store last week which indicated that there was only 1 left in stock ... reduced from £900 to £720 so I clicked on the new "ask an expert" button to ask if they could supply 2 ... and I'm still waiting for a reply so I suppose the expert must be on holiday or sick leave ;)  Meantime ordered them from Thundersport cheaper with 10% L7 Club discount.

Maggie is well but I have had a back problem for 3 months now and sometimes wonder if I will ever be able to drive it again, but booked up for Donington next year though, in the hope that things will improve.

David

I collected today and had fitted a new mohair half hood, [easy out version] and a boot cover for my SV.

The measurement I gave them when I ordered was 900 from the front of the windscreen, which they didnt query..

Both items were fitted by them and fitted nicely, the only issue was the straps at the side were a bit too long and had to be cut down.

Service was great, and I felt happy that everythging was done properly.

I dont know where you are Blue 7 but a visit may well be a good solution.

Thanks for getting back, that's interesting that the 900 wasn't queried?  It was Jemma Doune that I dealt with and she referred to the 900 being a little long:

"The measurements you sent are a little long as we would expect 875mm for dimension A, however the mohair does have a little stretch in it and you can tighten up the fixing straps."

I will contact her again and mention your visit on Monday.  I am too far away for a factory visit, I live up near Aberdeen.

When you refer to the "easy out" version, is it similar to the softbits 4 7's half hood that has a zip in the roof?  If so I don't see that option on their website so I assume it was a special order?

I am also surprised about the side straps being too long?  On the softbits half hoods there is a buckle to adjust the strap length?

David

I'm not sure where we are booked into, Nigel has taken care of it and also a place for an overnight stay on the way down.

I forgot to tell you that your group were spotted on their way to Gairloch earlier this year.  We looked out for you on our way to Uig Hotel but no sight of you.  The following day while preparing to leave Uig Hotel an elderly couple approached me and asked if I had been part of a larger group of 7's that they had seen the previous day on their way up from Glasgow.  They said they had been making what they thought was good speed at 60 mph but were quickly caught by "a group of people driving cars like yours, which all overtook us in no time and swiftly disappeared into the distance" *driving* 

I assured them that we were not part of that group and that we were far to old and sensible to hang around with people like that *biggrin*

David

It was Jemma that I dealt with and she seems to know her stuff.

The Thundersport web site doesnt show the hood with the zips but their ebay listing does and it wasnt a special.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caterham-7-Series-5-SV-Half-Hood-Easy-In-Vinyl-/180937271012

The side straps do have an adjustable buckle but the free end has a velcro tab on the end and that was too long to mate with the secures end.

I expect that they have modded their drawings to suit.  I was quite impressed