Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Newbie 620 questions

james.c

Hi all,
I've got a couple of newbie questions that I think are a little specific to a 620.

1. Can someone just (briefly!) explain the process for checking and adding oil. The handbook says to run the engine between 2000 and 3000 rpm and that the “correct oil level is between the min and max markings of the dipstick measured with the thread of the cap fully engaged”. But in my brief handover at BaT they explained it as just making sure that the oil is up and covering the plate that you see as you look into the oil tank (i.e. there isn't a dipstick). Bit confused!!

2.    The handbook refers to engine oil as well as supercharger oil. Do I need supercharger oil and where would I put that?!

All the gear and absolutely bugger all idea. Still, after a 20 year dream of ownership I'm only on day 5 of my journey. So go easy on me!

Thanks,
J

Hi James 

I have a 620R ( one of the first from 2014 ) 

The BaT instruction is correct , run the car up to temperature and take the cap off the oil catch tank ( the big silver one on the LH side in front of the passenger footwell ) , the level should be just above the baffle plate when running .

The supercharger circuit is separate from the engine oil . It uses the Rotrex oil that is over £100 per litre !!

I think it has a life of over 50,000 miles but i bought a bottle as i mine needed a very small top up . The dip stick is on the cap of the filler which is on a finned tank at the front of the car down by the steering rack .Black ( or blue ) cap about 25mm diameter . Check it when the oil is hot .I think you can do this with the engine running .Dont overfill it as the oil needs space to expand when hot .I bought my oil on the American Amazon site and imported it as it was cheaper there than any UK supplier .

http://jacksonracing.com/product/rotrex-traction-fluid/  This is what you need,  99 dollars in the US .

In the uk £115 ! http://www.gmcmotorsport.co.uk/superchargers/charger-kit-parts/1ltr-sx150-traction-oil/prod_129.html

Have a look at the Rotrex site for general info on the supercharger .

Have fun . Post any more questions you have and i will try and answer .

Brilliant, thanks a lot Mark. I'll take a look over the weekend and give you a shout if I'm still confused. 

Picked up my new, "tamer" 620S on Saturday (went with the colour scheme from the press car as I really loved it). All rather terrifying at the moment but I'm giving myself a few years to learn how to drive it. With the 5-speed box and a sensible right root it's actually very approachable. Happy to have the excuse of wearing the engine in. Can't imagine what it will be like to open her up on a track!

20161204_125843_s.jpg.3facc53a6e01c35e4d9584bed9be175a.jpg

James 

One thing to watch on the "S " on track is the ride height with a passenger on board .

With the softer suspension the under slung exhaust can bottom out where it is low by the off side rear wheel .

Caterham wore right through their exhaust at the club day at Cadwell and I noticed later in the year their "S " was wearing the race dampers and stiffer springs . 

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye on that!

Sorry - one more quick one for now! Recommended fuel is 98RON. Local BP's super unleaded option seems to be 97RON. I guess I can look around a bit more. What do you recommend and do you notice much of a difference?

• Area Representative

BP Ultimate Unleaded is indeed stated as 97 RON but I would think the word after it says volumes... "minimum".

Super has always been 98ish to Normal's 95ish strength, so I imagine you'll be fine... and it certainly beats putting Normal in.

The Shell top grade is 98 but to be honest i have used BP 97  and even normal 95 when in the depths of Wales when nothing else was available and it seems to run ok on all . 

That said i don't make a habit of using 95 and wouldn't run it hard on track with 95 in the tank . 

Hi Mark,
This probably isn't 620 specific but this is missing a nut to hold the exhaust on right?!

Echaust_small.jpg.c5bc6ac4396f4733be1dea3f1788284f.jpg

It's a new build so I'll email Greg at BaT but obviously an easy fix. As a total newbie, where do I pick up bits and bobs like these sort of nuts? I assume there's a good online store for this stuff (and / or Amazon?!). Any idea what size this nut is and is it a good idea to keep a stock of a range of different sizes. Sorry for really basic questions!

Yes, it does need a nut, M8 with a shakeproof washer; as on the underside of the bracket. You could get a nut almost anywhere, local hardware shop, car accessory shop etc  

The image seems to show a flat washer and a shakeproof already in place. It's hard to believe they would stay there without a nut!!

Great, thanks Scott!

Greg just came back to be and said he'd pop a nut in the post for me (bit OTT but very kind of him anyway!). Reckons it might have come loose when the IVA trim has been removed. Hope that's the only nut missing!

J

The earth wire under the plastic cover attached to the underside of the dash above the battery was loose on my 620R. It was almost like it had been hand tightened and worked loose after 2k causing fluttering of all dials, lights playing funny and a bit of hesitation. All good now though