Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Raceco Silencer

jmracing66

I had a Raceco silencer supplied and fitted by Mike earlier this year. This included modifying my new Raceline manifold and making a new rear silencer mount.

The standard of workmanship and welding is nothing short of perfection.

I had the opportunity to look at the restoration projects in the workshop, and again the attention to detail and workmanship is unbelievable.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, bit of a tardy comment on this post.  Here's my experience with a Raceco at Brands Hatch.

At a late summer evening session at Brands (Indy), my CSR 260 with a Raceco (everything else OEM) ust scraped through the 92db static test.  I spent most of the evening short shifting, slowly increasing the revs / throttle.  This seemed to be working fine, but then in the last few minutes of the session, I gave it the full beans ... and was black flagged coming out of clearways on the main straight.  I spoke to the marshals afterwards, who said they thought it was a between gear-changes backfire that probably tripped me over the limit, though difficult to be sure.

The Raceco certainly made my car much quieter, but I'd had it fitted for +six months, which included a rolling road session and this apparently knocks hell out of the wadding.  Since the Brands noise experience, I've done a few of things:

(1) contacted Mike (Raceco) for more wadding and repacked the Raceco.  The original wadding did seem quite burnt out.  The repack made a big difference again with the noise level dropping substantially.  I now run with my OEM silencer for the road and will save the raceco for track days.

(2) fitted some heat resistant under-bonnet sound-deadening foam.  Difficult to be certain, but this seems to have reduced the induction roar a lot - a bigger difference than I expected.

(3) the marshals did suggest that an air leaks in the exhaust system can also lead to more pops and bangs.  The joint between collector and siliencer was a bit slack, so I used a pipe expander to tighten up the joint.

Also, on the quality of the Raceco - it is nothing less than a work of art IMO.

cheers.

[Edited to add in point (3)].