Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K series oil/Dipstick Advice

Rob Board

Hi Gents. Could anyone please tell me the amount of oil needed to go from the bottom to top of dipstick on a K series 1800. In 840 miles I have gone from the middle of the 5th cross, to the top of the second cross (ie towards the bottom). The engine is a 140 BHP roadsport with 3040 miles on the clock. Does anyone think this is normal consumption (bearing in mind the internals have been slightly tweaked by Rover), that will tail off as engine beds in a bit more? Or do I worry. Will speak to CRTM next week, but advice greatly sought. Using recommended Comma Full Synth as per CTRMS owner manual. Many Thanxs Rob.

If you are running the std Caterham Ali sump with windage plate gasket it is very tricky to ascertain the exact top-up amount.Best to keep an eye on it at this stage I'd say.

Got to be better than Mick Smiths 'K' that was having 'a problem' and was using a litre per 200 miles (Yes, I did mean two hundred miles). Sorted after a rebuild though!!!

Clamshell Club Founder Member.

Most modern cars are 1 litre max to min, or therabouts. I dunno what the spec is re Rover - most manufacturers give notoriously pessimistic oil consumption figures so that should you go back to the dealer after 2000 miles saying "Oy, my new car burns 1 litre of highly expensive fully synth oil every 400 miles" they can fob you off without having to do a rebuild.

Peugeot got a lot of bad press for this in the 80s, with the 1.9 GTi engine - I think their spec was 1 litre per 200! I suppose it helped when they left out a scraper ring.

Most engines will bed in and burn less after a few thou, IMO. Interestingly my scabby Volvo was quite thirsty when I first changed the oil for 15/50 Comma and now seems to have settled down to 1L per 1000 miles. Maybe the clean oil has ungummed the rings etc, or maybe the previous owner was using 5W10 recycled Mazola.