Click here if you are having website access problems ×

freestyle handling kit

k.russell

thinking of fitting freestyle kit to my 1992 HPC (2L VX) also wide track, unsure whether to fit there adjustable front roll bar or use cat supplied, anyone done this mod, any recomendations or advice. car is road car i have had from new. not done any track days yet 😳

Does anyone have widetrack with 2L VX with a cat anti-roll bar, if so, what diameter. on my standard set up i have 5/8. I have seen a few cars at club sprints with a freestyle type adjustable bar,would it be wise for me to fit this as i have little knowledge of car set up 🤔.I will speak to freestyle this week, but would welcome any advice from anyone who has done a similar conversion. ps. steve, my only excuse might be i have no money left . 😳

KEV.

On my VX.

I had the post 96 soft setup and widetrack running the 3/4" or 19mm bar.

I changed to 250lb front springs and Freestyles adjustable bar. I am told that this is between ~5/8"

down to ~3/8". I have only tried it in anger on track on a dry setup.

I got too much dive on braking with the standard springs. This was improved with 250lb front springs but a tad of understeer was introduced. This was dialed out with the Freestyle bar on 5/8" setting.

Now I have upped the rears to 180lb and think I need 300lb fronts. I aim to have them along with me to the test day in March so I can swap.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

just fitted the freestyle lightweight ali dampers and springs (road and trackday version - which I believe just means it is polybushed) to my 1.4SS.

I spoke to Len Unwin on the need for the adjustable front arb and he advised in my case (as I had barely driven the car) to just do the springs and dampers for now and get that set up nice, especially as I already have a fairly stiff 5/8 bar anyway. The freestyle adjustable arb adjusts approximately from 3/8 to 5/8 I believe and Len said, in general, setups tend to end up towards 5/8 anyway. I see the adjustable arb as useful for final tweaking if you have the 5/8 bar.

All this is of course down to personal preference. I took the car on its first proper shakedown since the winter rebuild to Brands Hatch last friday and the car felt very planted indeed. Set up was quite soft with 4 clicks and the back, 2 clicks at the front, 5/8 front arb and the Caterham rear adjustable arb set to its slackest setting. Driving on 14" wheels and Yoko 032 SS.

Was so planted that I couldn't get it to induce any over or understeer. I put this down to the tyres and my lack of experience and ultimate commitment in the corners!!

Overall I am delighted with the freestyle kit. t was very very easy to fit too.

Kev,

I run a 93 VX with Wide Track, with a Green front ARB (19mm?) 300lbs springs up front and 180lbs rears on 13" wheels. It used to have harder springs on the front (355lbs or 365lbs difficult to read the markings) and would undrsteer a fair bit. The 300lbs springs made a real improvement.

I only use the car on the road so can only be subjective about the reduction in understeer, it just appears to stick where I wouldn't have expected it to before!

I can't really comment on the effects of Wide Track as I switched from 16" to 13" wheels at the same time. Prior to this the car was all over the place tramlining/bumpsteer etc.

Rgds

Ian