Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

KNOB

rossybee

Didn't want to hijack Chris' GEAR STICK thread so here goes:

Probably is simple, but I'm going to change the Vauxhall? 6spd knob on my car for the snazzy alloy cat job.

Is it as straight forward as unscrewing it & screwing the replacement on?

Or is this just wishful thinking on my part?

rossybee - so how did you pull off your knob in the end *tongue*? (very childish - sorry). By coincidence I was trying the same thing this weekend on my live axle 5sp. Tried twisting the knob only, which has loosened it, but it doesn't seem to be the right way to take it off. There is a thread half way down the gear stick, but trying to turn this didn't work either. Now I'm just left with a loose knob that feels like it's going to come off every time I bang it in hard (sorry - there I go again! 😬)

Martin,

I'm now so happy with my knob, I can't stop fiddling with it, and it always puts a *smile* on my face. 😬

Seriously though, it took a good few turns b4 it came free (choosing my words carefully here ), and I then had to remove a small adaptor which was a bugger and required vise-grips for removal.

Once that was off, the thread on the actual gearstick mates with the female thread on the adaptor and the thread inside the new knob.

So it was just a case of turning it hand tight (lining up the shift pattern of course) and firming up with the grubscrew.

Whether this is the case with the 5 spd I don't know.

Hope this helps. *thumbup*

Ross very black 6spd SuperSport *wink*