Click here if you are having website access problems ×

All gaskets are not created Equal - VX 2.0L

ECR

All gaskets are not created equal

Having had a water leak from the front end of the inlet manifold on my 2.0 Vauxhall engine I decided to fit a new gasket. The gasket was ordered from a main brand manufacturer and arrived quickly. Before fitting, I cleaned the gasket bolt up faces and made sure that there was enough thread available so that the fasteners didn’t bottom before full clamping force was attained. The fastener situation was a bit marginal so I added extra thick washers to compensate. Happy that this was now ok, I added a smear of RTV silicone to both sides of the gasket around the periphery of the water channel apertures. I bolted the manifold up, refilled the system with antifreeze and ran the engine up to temperature. I was disappointed to see that after about 20 minutes running, a dark stain appeared on the section of the gasket that was not under the clamp up faces. (See second picture).

I repeated the exercise with another new gasket from the same manufacturer (left the sealant 24 hours to cure this time) with exactly the same results. I checked that both bolt up faces were flat (they were) and then started to suspect the gasket. I took two used gaskets and immersed them in about 6mm of antifreeze and you can see the results in picture 1 (don’t be confused by the marks created when the gaskets were previously used). The grey gasket shows a dark stain where the antifreeze is being wicked through the material. The green gasket shows no sign of any wicking. They have both been submerged for the same time ….

Although the faces of the gasket were covered with RTV silicone, the EDGES surrounding the water channel are still exposed and it looks to me that this is where the wicking starts.

I now need to source another “green” gasket to see if that cures the problem

large_leakinginletmanifoldgasket20162_2.jpg.0782589257e2f07af2cc203f98f6bd08.jpglarge_leakinginletmanifoldgasket2016_0.jpg.178fa9383ccd32555c1d59e9aee8d9f1.jpg

It's a softish paper gasket. Undoubtedly not standard paper. I'm trying to contact the manufacturers for their comments ...

Having left them both submerged for a further 24 hours, the green gasket shows some signs of wicking (but nowhere near as much)

Thanks Elie

I have ordered a Victor Reinz gasket and if that proves a problem will try QED.

Nigel, I have a sheet of gasket material but the inlet manifold gasket is a little more complicated than "normal" gaskets so I'll wait for the new one to arrive in the post

In case it might get anyone out of trouble when stuck for a gasket, the lovely old boy who had to put up with me when I was an apprentice used a small ball pein hammer to lightly tap the gasket material around the edges when it was laid over the 'stat housing, manifold etc. The slightly rolled over edges of the material helped to keep it in place and if you take it steady you can produce some quite complicated gaskets.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now fitted an inlet manifold gasket supplied by QED as the Victor Reinz gasket has not arrived yet  (thanks for the pointer Elie). I used exactly the same jointing method as before with a smear of silicone on both sides of the gasket surrounding the waterway. The new gasket shows no sign of wicking after running the car up to temperature and leaving it overnight. Previously,at this stage, the "grey" gasket showed definite dampness and in fact I could produce beads of moisture by squeezing it between thumb and forefinger.

The QED gasket is overprinted Tesnit BA-U and google shows that this is the manufacturer of the gasket material. It is firmer than the grey gasket which was overprinted  Glockler Ditchtungen and it has a semi plastic sort of surface.

I note that many of the cheap EBay gasket sets for the C20XE engine contain inlet gaskets that are grey in colour so I would advise caution if using one (it may well be different material and work o.k. .....)

As I have not been able to contact the manufacturer of the "grey" gasket for comment, I won't publish their name but I'm happy to share by private mail if anyone is concerned.

I have now received the Victor Reinz gasket. It has the same "plastic" type of finish and is firm like the QED gasket. I'd be happy to use it. For reference, it's overprinted Reinz AFM (AFM is the material type) and it is "71-28234-00 ditchtung, ansaugkruemmer"

And yes, the manifold joint is still leak free  *thumbs_up_thumb*