Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Track day programme 2017 - initial thoughts

Shortshift

• Leadership Team

Good news - Dave and I are now finalising the Club's track day programme for 2017 and we're expecting to be in a position to make more information available here, in this thread, over the next few weeks.

We plan to build on this year's activities to provide an increase in the geographical coverage and number of Club track days in 2017.  We will also be maintaining our unique Club approach which includes a great social element (often an informal get-together over a drink and meal the evening before), lots of support for newcomers (including our 'buddy system'), free instruction and, where we can, starting each day in Sessions before moving to Open Pit Lane format as conditions (and driving behaviours...) allow.

In terms of a taster, we're hoping that the 2017 programme might look like this:

• Starting in March and running through to September (maybe even October) with locations covering a mix of old favourites and, hopefully, a new addition or two...
  • Three (possibly four) Club exclusive days (track available to Club members only, for the full day) and including a dedicated event for newcomers (already announced but not yet bookable - to take place at Blyton Park on Friday 5th May)
  • One event which the Club will operate but where we will sell a minority part of the day to another club or organisation
  • Three (possibly four) events where we will be running Club exclusive sessions on a track day that is being organised by another Club or organisation
  • And hopefully a surprise additional event as well....

Further details will be posted in this thread as soon as dates and venues are confirmed.

James

Thanks James.  That all sounds excellent, with some good measures to encourage newcomers (which is essential), and plenty to keep the regulars happy too (also essential!).

Two quick points, if I may.   First, it would help to be a little more specific about the plan you mention for the Club-exclusive days to move (provisionally) from sessions to open pitlane.    If a day is being offered at a relatively high OPL price (as the Club-exclusive days tend to be), then a decent amount of OPL tracktime should really be guaranteed.  If a sessions structure was extended much beyond, say, mid-morning, tracktime value for money would be notably compromised.   Most of the regulars I know tend to prefer OPL days, and make bookings for sessioned days only when there's no alternative (eg Brands GP)  or when they're significantly less expensive (e.g. sessioned days at Cadwell, which can be had as cheaply as chips).  

Second, on dates, I for one would appreciate it if dates for the proposed events could be released as and when they are confirmed (rather than waiting until they have all been confirmed).  My 2017 calendar (for work as well as play) is booking up fast and I want to get any Club trackdays firmly in there asap...

All thanks again to you and the team for putting track days firmly back on the Club map!

Stephen *byebye*

I'd be interested in this. But as above, if the prices are slightly higher and it starts with being sessions then it's not going to be worth it. Would be able to book a cheaper day OPL and get more time.

I understand some people require instructions but this could easily be done during OPL??

Also the sooner we have the dates the better too :)

• Leadership Team

Just a few notes to address the points raised above and to help others who may be watching this thread:

1.  "Sessions then OPL"

This approach has proven to be very popular and successful during 2016 and we will definitely continue it into 2017 on the basis of making the switch "as soon as possible" in the day.  In fact, this feature is becoming one of the hallmark characteristics of the Club's trackdays. 

Please understand that we have a responsibility to provide events that will appeal across the spectrum of Club membership and, also, that unless we attract newcomers (at all experience levels, not just novices) to our events we run the risk of attendance numbers falling below the level needed to make Club track days viable.  That said, starting in sessions doesn't just help the newcomers - it also provides a more orderly start to the day, and our track record of moving to OPL early-ish in the day during this past season was pretty good.  Worth noting that the delay in moving to OPL at our last event, Anglesey (and even there the switch took place before lunchtime) was not at the request of the novices and newcomers but was actually a consequence of the driving standards being exhibited by some of the more 'experienced' drivers...

Anyway, let's take a likely worst case scenario of Sessions lasting throughout the morning, followed by OPL in the afternoon - by my reckoning that would still give a minimum of around 4.5 hours of track time available to every participant; more than enough for most, I would imagine.

2.  Cost

I have no idea why it is being implied that Club track days are costly; that's simply not the case and whilst I agree that the track day market includes some low-cost, low-frills operators, I do think that our track days provide excellent value when the nature, scope and content of our events is taken into account.  Club camaraderie, Caterham-only, free instruction, buddy-system, professional standards of organisation, marshaling and safety - what's not to like?

3.  Instruction

Just to confirm that this is provided - free of additional cost - throughout the day, whether during Sessions or OPL running.  And remember that instruction isn't aimed purely at the newcomers...

4.  Dates

Yes, our intention is to release dates once they are confirmed but there is a lot of interdependency between several of the dates and venues currently under negotiation.  So a change to the date at Venue A might knock on to the timing of the event at Venue B which might, etc etc...  And the last thing I want is members making arrangements (accommodation, for instance) around a proposed date and venue only for that plan to be changed further down the line.

All of the above said, Dave and I both think that 2017 is going to be a great season for Club track days, building on the 'onwards and upwards' approach.  Hang-on in there and we'll get details released just as soon as it's safe to do so.

James

Some points fairly made. I will be interested either way.

I can give instruction if people are needed. I'm a racer myself.

With regards to the dates being released. Just an idea so ignore if need be.....When dates are released put them up to get a rough idea, and then maybe when they are confirmed dates just put confirmed next to them so people can then arrange accommodation etc if need be?

• 4 weeks later...