Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Towbar Electrics?

cskip

I have conflicting advice from towbar fitters.  I thought I would ask the collective power of BC.  Scotchlock or Plugin?

Various towbar fitters are giving different opinions about fitting of the single electrics to a 430d.  Most are pushing the use of a plug in electric connector that connect directly into the existing BMW electrics.  However I have one supplier saying that he has stopped using the connectors as a fault in the electrics of the trailer can cause the car electrics to fault, with subsequent main dealer fault fixing at main dealer charge rates!  As a result they use scotchlocks and various fuses on the towbar electrics to protect the car electrics.

What is the collective thoughts on this topic?

Scotchlocks are the spawn of the devil as they risk cutting host cable strands.  They also corrode and fail with time.  I have the BMW fitted removable hitch (brilliant, takes 10 seconds to fit or remove) on my 5 series, with standard electrics and never had a problem. It has a 13 pin socket with an adapter for my trailer's 7 pin electrics.

Paul

*arrowup* Same for me on my CR-V. When I purchased the car 2nd hand from a Honda dealership I asked for a towbar to be fitted and was advised that it would be far cheaper to go to an independent but make sure I specified a vehicle specific harness.for reasons outlined above.