Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cooked engine?

monsterchub

Done a track day and on the last corner of the final lap of the day engine started sounding sick ( tappets i think but not sure) so I immediately engaged clutch and coasted into the pits and switched off engine. As it was starting to get dark and the meeting was finished I pushed the car up to the trailer and winched it on, drove home, covered it up. Next day I inspected for obvious damage, but all seemed fine no broken or damaged belts, no oil leeks, oil level seemed ok although I had to start up the engine to get a reading (dry sump) and noticed that the pressure read out on the gauge was only 3psi which increased very slowly, where as before it took a couple of seconds to settle  at 54psi. Have I cooked the engine?

If you now only have 3 psi showing (and if the gauge/sender is reliable !). Then it looks very likely that you have a fairly major engine problem. For some reason oil has not been reaching the bearings and the (very soft) bearings will have worn giving the oil an easy path to escape (hence low pressure). As you are not mechanically minded, get someone who is to look at it before running it.

Good luck  *thumbs_up_thumb*