Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bag Seat query

Mucus72

Evening all,

I never felt truly at one with my old car until I had Caterham Midlands make me up a bag seat base. I had S-Type seats, and kept the back rest piece, and ditched the squab. I also ditched the head rest because with a helmet on it pushed my head too far forwards, and fitted the roll over bar mounted pad. This eventual set up was perfect for lanky old me, as 6'6" tall (and more in the body) made me feel like I was originally sitting on the car, not in it.

And now my drama with my new car. I went with the plastic Tillett seats, hoping that they would be low enough. I find them really comfortable and fit snugly. But its too high. Its kind of OK with the windscreen on, but I'm still looking out of the top third of the windscreen. The drivers seat is currently on the runners, and the passenger on the aluminum bars. I could swap them but I don't see any difference in height. I could also use the Tillett spacers to angle the front up, but I'm not sure its going to drop my head height.

When I tried my aero I was far too exposed. I loved aero screen driving, but hated the only attempt in my new car. This may actually be a reason why some people don't like aero, who knows...

So I think the conclusion is I want a bag seat making, but with the current one piece seat removed, it will need to be a full bag seat. 

I'd like to know who you guys think does a really good job of these in the East Midlands area (Leicester, Derby, Nottingham, but prepared to travel further).

Also, it would be really good to have one that kind of looks OK. My old one was perfectly functional, but badly wrapped with sort of black Duct tape. I know its not going to be beautiful, but I'd like it to look reasonable.

Any thoughts and advice please? I don't want to make one up myself.

I have Tillets and a lowered floor in mine, and at 5 foot 7, I cannot sit low enough in aero either

The issue is when I wear a helmet the tillet pushes the head forward, to overcome this you need to raise the front of the seat, which effectively takes up the gains the lowered floor should provide....

Back to the original question, McMillan Motorsport when asked said they would be happy to make one, similarly I asked at Bookatrack on their opening day, and they said they could.

Tazio- yep your describing my problems exactly! And Ian yep I have lowered floors. And did so in the old car too. I will knock on BookaTracks door unless anyone has a better recommendation, with evidence of a good bag seat, well wrapped. Wondering if there is some other material other than crappy tape to cover them? You'd have thought that there would be some sort of technical heat shrink fabric 'sock'. That's what I see in my minds eye. 

I'd speak to Luke Stevens at Team Leo's near Newmarket, they can do you a proper Bag seat, fully trimmed and Names embroidered in the cover if you want ?

They are a beautifully finished seat that would look at home in any car.

He is having an open day on the 19th of November for the opening of the new rolling road facility, worth popping down and seeing some of the cars with the seats fitted.

Lee, Ian, Jonathan, Dom, thanks for the feedback. I will ring these guys/companies. For future ref is anyone else is looking at this thread, I also had separate feedback about a company called DPR motorsport after I posted this. This is their site

Lee, Ian, Jonathan, Dom, thanks for the feedback. I will ring these guys/companies. For future ref is anyone else is looking at this thread, I also had separate feedback about a company called DPR motorsport after I posted this. This is their site

If you take the seat out and sit on the floor can you actually get a position you are happy with in the car?

Tillett do a very light shell, the b3.5 http://www.msar.co.uk/image/large/126_1_Tillett-B35.jpg, that will basically allow you to sit it on the floor. you will have to DIY the mounts as it has to be supported at shoulder level and across the front. I have  a scruffy used one you can borrow if you want to see if this would work for you? I am in Sheffield. 

Hi Molecular Bob. I am planning a final blat of the year if the gritters do not go out tonight, so after that point I will tuck it away on axle stands and whip the seat out and have a play. I know from my previous bag seat base that I can definitely get low enough. Its such a shame that the standard Tillets and runners are quite high.

The b3.5 seat would still require canting back a lot to avoid the head being pushed forward with my helmet on,which then raises by thighs into the steering wheel area, and doesnt give me straigth enough legs to make pedal work easy. And then if I'm fabricating some kind of shoulder level mount I run the risk of not easily being able to take it back to standard if I sell. At least with a bag seat you can whip it out and revert in a matter of 30 minutes messing around with PITA seat bolts under the floor. Thank you for your kind offer of a loan of it though, much appreciated!

The build your own bead seat looks pretty impressive, and I think I will be able to get a good finish. I just don't want to spend loads, so I will have to cover it myself using the fabric they provide. They do an upholstery service, but it costs £300 plus extra. If I get the shape right in DIY mode, then if my attempts at home made upholstery are poor, I can always send it off to a pro at a later date.