Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Car wont start - what have I done wrong

Geoff Dixon

Have just finished most of my winter jobs on the car (1.6 K series) and thought as its a nice day I would start it up and go for a spin. Wired up ther fully charged battery and it wont start. Engine spins OK, all the warning lights come on, everything works apart from it wont start.

One of the jobs I have done is to fit new alternator so have been messing with the electrics.

When I turn the ignition on I CANT HEAR the petrol pump charging - in the past immediately on turning the ignition partly on you could hear the pump charging itself for a few seconds. This is now not happening. Also I have an Emerald ECU unit. The red warning lamp is not coming on suggesting the unit is not powered up. I have checked all the fuses and wiring - I think.

Is there any chance it is the black Multi Function Unit which is connected to the wiring loom by the 2 large block plugs. Is there any way of checking this - whatever it does?

Help guys

There is obviously no power going to the fuel pump or the Emerald so the fault must lie in the circuit from the ignition switch to these ( I think !!!)

Have found a short washed-out-pink coloured wire from the immobiliser box which looks as if it used to have a connector on the end ( but now does not) and is hanging loose. By the length of it I would suggest it should go to the ignition switch as there is nothing else near enough to connect it to. Any chance someone can have a look at theirs and see where this wire is meant to be connected.

Geoff

I know the inertia switch wasn't the problem as you have tried resetting it, but just to answer your question..... the inertia switch is in series with the fuel pump and so therefore would indeed disconnect power to the pump if it is tripped.

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Geoff

As you have had the battery disconnected, have you re-synchronised the immobiliser with the plipper? I'm only familiar with the Rover immobiliser which needs 4 clicks of the "arm" button on the plipper to reset it. I had a similar problem to you the other day now I recall and that solved it. Fingers crossed.

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

OK have now changed the MFU unit and no joy.

Still cant get the red light to come on on the back of the Emerald which I think means it has no power.

Going to go through every single wire I can think of, check the fuses again, check the inertia switch etc

Any chance it could be the Emerald unit?