Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

VX 1.6 8v Engine ?

Martym

Hoping to gain info on this... Have read that Caterham fitted this engine to some of their cars... most info I can find says it was a larger block than 1.6, ie 2.0 size & code was C16NZ2

The paper sticker on my engine reads C16NZ  MAN which assume means manual. on the stamped id it reads C16NZ then looks like another Z or could it be a 2 ??

Not exactly sure what you're asking ..

IIRC the block used for the 1800 engine was essentially the same as the 2.0 XE.

This from Fast Ford Magazine

There shouldn't really be a question as to which engine you've got since the fact that all XE's are 2-litre - kind of reduces the risk a bit. The block is the same as the eight-valve although there are around five different types with minor variations - chiefly these are in the oil ways and some slight differences in the water passages. However, it's worth checking you haven't got an 1800 block, which should have 1.8 cast into it, whereas the XE has 2.0. There is also a system of casting marks on the top of the block - HH or HG, followed by a number which corresponds to the block version. The first type was HH1and these were produced up to version 9 (HH9).The second type was HG1 and these were produced up to version 4 (HG4). Each of these blocks having improved over its predecessor.

as I understand it, the big block/small block is how Vauxhall people describe the two different kinds of four cylinder SOHC 8v engine from that period. the one fitted to Caterhams was a 1.6 version of the big block, so related to the 1.8/2.0 cavalier engine (not the 1.4/1.6 units that went in Novas etc). Caterham also fitted 1.8 versions as a supersprint upgrade. I *think* the 2.0 is a taller block so might not fit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine lists the C16NZ2 - when I've bought parts for mine it's come up as from the 1.6 Vectra and they've fitted ok!

Caterham skimmed the head to up the compression and rated them as 100bhp. They have a bad reputation, but for a road engine the fact that they have a standard cam makes them a flexible tourer, and they're still not exactly slow compared to normal cars. The main issue from my point of view is the lack of a thermostat, which is rubbish, and the fact that Caterham jetted them rich to make up for the engine always running cold, it's like having the choke on all the time. I've improved mine a bit but there is more to be done over the winter...

I've fitted a thermostat following the advice from Firemang in post #13 here:

https://www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/vx-16-8v-thermostat?page=1

which was cheap - a stat off ebay and some extra pipe - and it's worked a treat, no trouble with overheating and no need to keep blanking the rad. And it runs better when it's somewhere near a sensible operating temp.

I didn't say the engine was bad Elie, just that they have a reputation - I've noticed they get slagged off a bit and even when I test drove mine - which was sluggish at the top end - the dealer told me that's how they all are. When I got it back home I found the throttle was so badly adjusted it was only getting 2/3 opening at most. Funnily enough it was a lot perkier when that was sorted out. I've also changed the emulsion tubes to lean the bottom end and it's improved it.

I quite like it, plenty of mid range, gruff, old school feel but keeps the oil in better than the Kent-based engines I've had experience of. I'd even say it reminded me of the twink in my mate's Elan if that wasn't blasphemous ;-)

I seem to remember something way back saying the 1.6 8 valve engines fitted to caterhams were produced in Australia at the Holden plant ..they arrived too late at the Luton plant to be used in production and held in storage then sold to Caterham's 

​I guess caterham got them at a good price.

they are a good all round engine and easily maintained ..limited tuning but hard wearing ..I've got a 1.8 8 valve and it's quick enough but a little juicy with the fuel if you boot it ..and they sound great on those carbs.. the little research I've done on my 1.8 is it's a Carlton lump with a Caterham's  tuned head.

Speaking as an ex garage mechanic I can't get my head round that Caterham's  vx 1.6 8 valve had no thermostat??​ (post 8.)