Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre Inflator Recommendations

BigCol

I used a Halfords 12v electric pump for years and separate accurate analogue gauge for final pressure settings, however for cycling I bought an upright track pump and have found that ideal for the Seven and tintop, I still use the same separate gauge for final setting.

Aldi have one today. I brought the same from Amazon 6 months ago. You set the pressure you want once and then everytime it inflates to that pressure. Friends now have it and all agree with my pressure gauge. Nice to be able to plug in, press go, and tyre inflates to a set pressure.

After reading many internet 'reviews', the Ring RAC635 came out as the most applauded.

Now after more than a year and a bit of use I can add my penny's worth.

Clear digital display, long cables, sos light, preset the pressure required and it stops when reached, quick inflation, sturdy construction, small size, handy carry case and most of all accurate.  Just my opinion.

With regards to the accuracy, I compared it to a Halfords digital tester which is rated as accurate and they return the same results.

All for about £28.

Phil

Bike track pump here also, works well for the low pressures needed on the Seven, and combined it with the analogue gauge featured recently in Lowflying. Pump was £6 from Lidl, and gauge £7.50 on Amazon, both great value and very well made. Tintop has an electric pump but very inaccurate!

I use a Halfords portable power pack - jump starter, compressor, mains inverter and 12v output all in one.  No need to plug it into anything to use it.  Only issue is that the gauge went up to 160 psi, so it wasn't easy to read 17 psi on it.  I replaced the gauge with a 30 psi one, though that wasn't a particularly easy job.

The model I have is no longer made, and the current model gets terrible reviews, but I'm sure other companies offer similar devices.

Thanks everyone for the comments. *clap*

I take on board the physical benefits of a non-electric pump but like the idea of pressing a button, leaving the device to it and returning to the tyre at the desired pressure (or if the gauge isn't to be trusted, I could slightly over-inflate and correct manually with an accurate one)

As I won't use it often, a cheap Aldi device sounds good but I don't have a branch nearby so have gone for a Ring RAC635 (had also seen the AutoExpress test results) which whilst more, ain't exactly expensive!

• 3 weeks later...

Advice, please.

The Joe Blow track pump is waiting for me to fit new seals, the Lezyne miniature track pump is just brilliant (and Highly Recommended), the little electrical pump from the Jazz works but is slow and isn't always at home, and the previously trusty Michelin double barrel foot pump is U/S. But at least I now know why:

IMG_0518.jpg.35c978add3e106ea1abd5f2a0acaacb8.jpg

I can get a replacement hose but what can I do with that fitting? The white metal crimped end swivels freely on the yellow metal piece.

And a whole new pump only costs £18.

Thanks

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...