Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dry Sump Scavenge Pumps ....

ECR

Well it's inherently vulnerable as it's single scavenge, so if the pump breaks or isn't working fully due to wear, or their is blockage of the pick up, you could find yourself in trouble. Mine is on 55000 miles, but I thought it sensible to have it checked out when I went from 1.4 to 1.8 and rebuilt the engine at about 35000 miles. 

I hear what you say Tom, but no matter how many scavenge stages you have, they all need monitoring as they will wear in the same way. Nothing wrong with the Caterham system provided its looked after ....

My enquiry to Titan was met with the statement that the pump(s) ? is designed and manufactured (?) by Caterham and as such they could not advise. This is a bit of a puzzle and I sense that there may be exclusivity sensitivity at play.

However, a further mail to them asking for suggestions on their own range of pumps elicited the following.

"We would recommend these are checked yearly or 10,000 miles but dependent on use. Race we would recommend you check this every 6 months."

Mine seemed fine until WOT on a long straight after a long straight. If the car isn't used on circuits very much there will be no problem, I am sure. If, however you are on a circuit where you go flat out for an extended time, you may get a problem. The trouble is, you don't get any warning before the Big Bang!