Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Inertia brakelights?

Kensboats7

A biker admired the car yesterday and in course of conversation mentioned a new type of LED inertia brake light, which operates when the brakes are applied but is not actually connected to the brake system. Anybody heard of this?  It seems these are easy to fit and are completely self contained, ie they can also be battery operated or taken straight off of the battery. He did not have much information, but did say he had seen them in use and they apparently work fine, even when worn by the rider!

Didn't know they existed, but it has been suggested that the deceleration from the massive drag is so high that something like that would help. And accelerometers are very cheap now because of smart 'phones. Sounds good.

Would it be better to drive the existing brake lights?

Review of the Ohmics light system.

Jonathan

PS: My touring human powered bike now has something similar: the rear light flashes when the bike decelerates. But it isn't driven by the deceleration...

7s with lightened flywheels can decelerate fairly promptly without the need for braking, so this could be useful, but more it will be a nuisance because if the inertia switch is sensitive enough every time you lift off the brake lights wil come on. It's bad enough having to follow 'comfort' brakers as it is....

Going down a small local hill in the 7 I need to touch the accelerator or I will slow down. The same hill in my tin top needs braking to maintain a sensible speed. In principle an inertia brake light sounds like a good idea for a lightweight un-aerodynamic vehicle but I am dubious that one could be set-up accurately or of it's legality.

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, but it's not always easy to be sure it's current.

I'd think of the legality in two parts:

1. The lights. If you pass the deceleration signal to the existing legal lights there's no issue. If you use additional lights they'd have to comply.
  2. The manner of activation. I can't see a problem with the Regulations... except that if you use additional lights and classify them as stop lights you'd have problems with 10 a ii.

Jonathan

• Leadership Team

Without wanting to sound stupid... How does an inertia switch differentiate between inertia and the car being at an angle on a hill? 

You're not.

I think you could get around this problem by having two accelerometers at 90 degrees (one vertical and one horizontal).