Click here if you are having website access problems ×

First trackday - worried about noise. Can anyone help?

Smithy77

Newbie to trackdays - wondering if anybody happens to have an airbox and/or dB slayer (tail pipe attachment) I might be able to burrow for my first trackday at Castle Combe on 10/10? Driveby limit is 87db/static 100db and I have an R400 K on roller barrels with 230bhp and I'm concerned it will be too loud.

I don't want my first trackday to end in disappointment, but if I go armed with an airbox/dB slayer, at least I should be able run for the whole day and I'll then know if it is something I'll have to address over winter.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Dave, it a standard VHPD 4-2-1 race system, without cat and 24x6" Powerspeed can, repacked by myself with acoustafil only recently.

Air filter is within the bonnet but I have an open air duct/scoop on the side.

Jonathan, good suggestion. Fortunately, I live round the corner from Superwhite who has a decent dB meter, so I'm going to test the static noise this weekend.

You can buy additional exhaust cans from Merlin on site but, if you do, make sure that you fit it properly as the outfield of Castle Combe is littered with them at the end of a track day.  I suspect that Merlin drive round after everyone has gone home and pick them up, quick repaint and back on sale.

From what I remember I don't think your car was too noisy and should get through the static noise test okay.  For driveby, find out where the infield mics are and lift off if you have a problem.  The driveby tends to be intake noise rather than exhaust triggered with your inlet side on the inside of the track.

Good luck

Paul