Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VVC Engines

Alan Archer

There are two basic variants. The EU2 engine was rated at 143bhp in the MGF. The EU3 engine was rated at 160bhp. In the Caterham installation it is said that the better exhaust and simpler intake arrangements allow them to breathe a bit better and the EU2 is quoted as 150bhp. The EU3 engine never really quite made 160 bhp, 156bhp being more typical on the dyno, but tends to make around 160bhp in a Caterham.

In terms of actual differences between the two, the EU3 engine has a different ECU (MEMS3 instead of MEMS2J) and wiring loom. It has coil packs on top of the plugs in wasted spark configuration instead on down on the side of the block (the VVC never ran a distributor as the rear end of the cams have a second belt and the distributor would not therefore fit). It has some additional machining around the valves in the head to allow better breathing at low valve openings. It also used a bigger throttle body (52mm instead of 48mm) and different injectors (actually smaller but run harder to get better emissions).

The main difference though in terms of getting more power from it was that it had uprated pistons with stronger ring lands that allowed it to rev to a higher limit. In reality I don't think there's really that much in it between the two engines at the lower RPM and I've even heard it said that the EU2 can be slightly torquier, but the EU3 engine then wins by the better breathing and stronger pistons allowing it to be revved harder.

I'm not sure about the 165bhp figure, this might be for the VVC-R configuration in which it is converted to run roller barrels as was used on the R300 for some time but I'm not sure.

I think you will be hard pressed to get much more power safely out of an EU2 VVC without upgrading the pistons as they tend to fracture between the rings (the EU2 engine as standard K Series pistons) when pushed to higher RPM. The EU3 engine can be mapped by KMaps to sharpen up the response and release a bit more power. Sometimes the engines are a little down on power due to non-optimal cam timing which can be corrected with offset dowel pins as the VVC cannot run verniers (the cam pulleys are curved to fit around the VVC mechanisms).

Hi Revilla, thanks ever so much for the detailed reply, that is great and well explained thank you. Looks like I will have to leave alone as it does not sound like I will be gaining much over my 1.8 Raodsport 140bhp I have at the moment, would probably be better off spending money upgrading that instead. 

Alan