Click here if you are having website access problems ×

BatteryBrain

john milner

I came across something called Battery Brain which may be of use to anyone concerned by batteries going flat due to parasitic load. Never heard of such a thing before and not cheap but if they work could be useful to someone.

http://www.batterybrain.co.uk/

I won't be getting one as I use a master switch six months of the year and take the battery on and off during the other six.

Hadn't heard of it.

Battery Brain sends out a pulse every two seconds to the car battery that senses the voltage level. When the level falls below what is needed to start the engine, the patented microprocessor activates its single moving part (a solenoid) and isolates the battery from the electrical circuit to preserve the charge you will need to start the engine.

Theory sounds OK. But the first sentence is a bit weird.

Jonathan

It sounds almost very good. However rather than activating it's single moving part once it has detected the battery voltage level falls below what is needed to start the engine, maybe it should activate its single moving part just before! *silly*

That one appears to have quite a narrow niche... you'd need to have it powered from the battery and be near enough to the vehicle for Bluetooth to work but not driving it or it would charge itself.

Jonathan (The 7 and the Vespa live on conditioning chargers all the time they're in the garage)

An under voltage disconnect is a pretty simple circuit to design, so I've no idea what software would need patenting.

It might be a bit more active than that. Perhaps that reference to a pulse is something like an applied load and measurement of the effect on the voltage. That might give a better prediction of unlikeliness to start than a passive measurement... but it will increase the rate of running the battery down...

In most cases it will be the only parasitic load and solely responsible for it tripping, making it essential once connected.............

Reminds me of the famous question of what happens if you plug a UPS into itself... who else has tried? :-) 

Jonathan

I'm a big fan of the CTEK trickle chargers, I have 3 to keep my cars ready to go when I'm home. The CTEK sense interested me, but once I realized it was bluetooth I was out as my cars are rarely in Bluetooth range of my phone.. A wi-fi one would have been of interest.