Click here if you are having website access problems ×

intermittent charging light woes, duratec 2.0

miles.gray

Hi, I have a 2014 Supersport R 2.0 duratec.

Starts fine, battery seems to hold charge fine, start it up at home, tester across the batter terminals and rev it, volts go up to 13.5V (ish).  Drive it down the road then the charge light flickers then come on constantly.  I've checked various connections and all seem tight.  Any clues?  There's no squealing, so presume the belt is turning the alternator.  Any help greatfuly received. Many thanks...

Charging voltage looks good.

1. Does the lamp behave sensibly when you first turn on the ignition and then start?
  2. Inspect the belt for damage and wear.
  3. Check the belt tension: how far can you press it with one finger in the middle of the longest run? (Other methods are available.)
  4. Did you find the wire that goes to the lamp at the alternator end and check the connection: wiggle, disconnect, clean and reconnect.

After those compare the battery voltage and the lamp as you bring the engine speed up to what you get on the road... what's the voltage when the lamp comes on inappropriately?

Jonathan

Many thanks Jonathan, Lamp goes out as soon as it starts.  Stays out when sat on the drive, comes on when driving.  Belt seems OK.  If the alternator is on the way out, would that explain the symptoms?  About to go back out, jack it up again and seem if I can get that connector of and give it a clean. 

update... cleaned the connector plug thingamybob on the back of the alternator.  With the engine running, a few revs gives 14.3V across the battery and this continues even when the light is on.  Wiggling some leads under the dash seems to get the light on and off, so presume that it's a wiring fault under the dash?  It's sunny and want to take it out so going to risk it I think.... life's too short.  Must remember to get some breakdown cover!

With the engine running, a few revs gives 14.3V across the battery and this continues even when the light is on.  Wiggling some leads under the dash seems to get the light on and off, so presume that it's a wiring fault under the dash?

Not sure yet.

Do you understand how the circuit works... it's a bit weird. I'd now replicate it with a temporary lead from that terminal on the alternator to the voltmeter (and the existing lead disconnected). That will distinguish between something wrong with the lamp circuit and something wrong with what the alternator is showing at that terminal.

Jonathan

really appreciate your help.  Have a photo of the culprit.  If I squeeze it or wiggle it the light will go out and certain it's causing it.  It's a little connector, in the photo, my finger is on the very end of it.  Just wondering if it just needs nipping up?/sites/default/files/images/users/40423/DSC_0159.JPG

If I squeeze it or wiggle it the light will go out and certain it's causing it.

Are you doing that with the ignition on and the engine not running?

I can understand how an inappropriate open circuit would do that... but not how it would cause your initial fault of the light coming *ON.

Can you read the wire colours to that connector?

Jonathan

*Any experts lurking... could that be caused by leaking to an unusual path on the side of what is usually the battery feed to the lamp when that fails open?

Ignition on, engine not started = light on.  Wiggling / sqeezing doesn't put it out.

Engine running = intermittent light but a gentle squeeze puts it out.

The wires look to all be green and white.  I'm thinking the connector should crimp them all together but doesn't, hence thinking it needs nipping up.

I experienced exactly the same symptoms (R400D) during a run down to the local L7C meet yesterday evening.  The ignition warning light was flickering feebly on and off all the time.  It may have been doing this for some time, of course, but this was my first trip in the dark for many months.

Investigated today to discover the problem was caused by dirty contacts in the alternator plug.  The alt was charging perfectly ok.

JV