Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Vx race car -> road

microlightman

Whilst indulging in pleasant conversation with some cordial gentlemen last night, I learned of the possibility of a Vx 16V race car which has never been near a road.

My question is what is the full set of things that one would have to do to make that car road legal?

Would it even get through LVA, and what form would that take?

I read somewhere that the race cars had a different wiring loom (perhaps a weight reduction since some bits were redundant?) So what are the implications? No cigarette lighter? Hmmnnn.

Anyone been through this process?

Thanks.

Not LVA. Think you mean SVA. There is no reason it couldn't be made to pass. There is a roadgoing pack that can be bought from Caterham for race cars, I believe. Mostly it is down to lighting requirements.

I believe SVA emissions will be down to the date of first construction and not the date of submission for SVA. A chassis number with the appropriate K (for kit) in the 3rd or 6th digit will also be important for emissions.

'Er, yes I think I did mean SVA. "L" and "S" are so close on the keyboard aren't they....

From the accent of the replies, would it be fair to say the physical changes are straight-forward and any potential wrangling is in the SVA? (I believe it is an older car).

Must be if its just a roadgoing pack?

Does this mean the chassis already has mount points for handbrake cables?

What about the speedo cable. Is there just an 'ole in the gearbox for the cable and jobs done? Blimey.

Trevor, I'll mail you, but in which forum should I search?

Thanks Chaps.

Microman,

I'm also just finishing converting my SLR challenge car to road spec, and so far (touch wood)it hasn't been too bad.

I managed to get a certificate of newness from Caterham, and the majority of parts I required to convert I got off the for sale site here.

I needed road rear callipers for the handbrake (from PC) and a set of de dion ears. Bought all the cables new and it was fairly easy to fit, although I opted for a bulk head mounting rather than on the transmission tunnel.

I have bought a new wiring loom, simply because it makes fitting the dash (bought secondhand) easier to fit and keeps things considerably neater.

I have managed to borrow an R500 exhaust system and because the car already runs an MBE ECU, SBD engineering are happy to make the car emission friendly.

Really hopeful that it will all be finished by April (including a full reskin and paintjob). I reckon the whole thing will end up costing me £19k including orginal purchase price to build a 200 bhp SLR precisely to my own spec.

Nick