Click here if you are having website access problems ×

AVO shocks

catflap

Jut fitted a set of alloy AVOS to my westfield, but the car is sitting too high. To reduce the ride hight do i wind the spring adjuster up or down? I dont have access to a C spanner (yet) so cant actualy do it untill it arrives, but curious.

Thanks

DAM

Then I think I have the wrong ones :( I need to drop my car by about an inch for it to now sit where is used to with the spax on. But there is only 1 inch of downward travel on the threads, there is miles of upward travel :( that don’t sound good to me, this means I cant drop it lower if I want to (as my car used to sit a little high)

Aye oop stu :)

Edited by - catflap on 12 Feb 2003 18:27:52

Shorter springs don't necessarily help. You need a shorter open length on the damper.

Could also be that you have a spring rate that the damper manufacturer has deemed to be much too high and "not designed for".

If your springs are stiff, consider going softer and you will be able to keep the Avos and probably get benefits for the handling all round.

Is this problem on the front and rear of the car, or only the rear? If the latter, then I may know the problem. Evidently Westfield produced two chassis that differ in the rear shock mount spacing. When I ordered my AVOs I was told to jack up the rear of the car and with the shock fully extended measure the distance between the mounting bolts. This distance would either be ~12" or ~14". It could be that your chassis requires the shorter shocks, but you were sent the longer ones.

-John

www.throttle-steer.com

You can't mount Avo's up side down. the adjusters must be at the bottom. The Bilstiens can, but the only reason the racers did it was that the springs can be changed quicker by undoing the bolt on the lower wishbone and slide the spring off downwards.