Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How I fitted a distributor blanking plug /plate to my xflow

Stridey

Since I've had my xflow I have had the remnants of an older ignition system still in my engine bay, namely a coil and distributor. I thought I'd add my small job to the archives in case anyone else needs to do the same in future.

i couldn't work out why this had been left in, so after a year and a half of having the car I finally got round to its removal. Less weight etc...

I bought a blanking plug from a seller on EBay for under a tenner, it has an 'o' ring on it and is designed for A series mini engines, but the seller describes one of the two sizes as fitting a xflow....which it does snugly.

I originally re-used the distributor clamp (see pic) as a temporary fix to hold the plug in place, then asked a chum who owed me a favour if he could make a 'yoke' to fix it better and neater from stainless.  All fitted nice and snug. I've concluded that the previous owner left it in as maybe they didn't want to bother with blanking plates?

The EBay seller is now offering a service to machine holding brackets, haven't seem them, but maybe easier if you don't have a friendly machinist chum..

Anyway, all in 1kg lighter, and I know I'm mad but can perceive the engine is freer running when revving, but surely a distributor can't cause that much drag... ? 

image_70.jpeg.d3e889b4e114e45786ca2d5d5e700503.jpegimage_71.jpeg.e78790ffda7324afdd1ec6b2941f7160.jpegimage_72.jpeg.11d523cd185fb4de3679aa21f7c9eec5.jpeg

Neat.

Total cost with the commercial bracket so we can calculate moolah/mass and add it to the list of available savings? 

Anyway, all in 1kg lighter, and I know I'm mad but can perceive the engine is freer running when revving, but surely a distributor can't cause that much drag... ? 

Only one way to find out if the impression is accurate... ;-)

Jonathan

Harrebe, as far as I'm aware the mini oil pump does run off the cam, meaning if you remove the distro you see a slot that drives the oil pump by an extra shaft. The Xflow distro does not have this slot.

As far as I'm aware the Xflow oil pump is not affected by the distro, .....oil pressure is the same as before. But if you know different please let me know as soon as possible! 

Mini (a series) oil pump runs off the end of the cam not the dizzy drive. The a series has a dizzy drive shaft which is held in position by the dizzy so guess you have to remove the drive shaft too to stop it dislodging and causing mayhem in the crankcase/ gearbox.

From memory the xflow external oil pump has its own bevel gear running off the camshaft though cannot recall if it is the same one on the camshaft that the dizzy runs off.

Ian

Both the oil pump and the distributor are driven by the same gear on the camshaft, but they each have their own drive gear so removing either doesn't affect the other.

Incidentally, the easiest and lightest way to blank the dizzy hole is to use an interference fit plug with a small flange on the top to stop it falling all the way through into the sump.

Thank you Roger, I was told that was the case by a chum that races xflows, so I was worried by the suggestion removal perhaps wasn't a good idea. The plug I got is a snug fit, with an o ring, can't pull it out without a very strong gripping tool,  As it was made for the Mini I did see warnings about pulling out extra gear links that connect to the oil pump, but was assured this did not apply to xflows. 

The bracket is 'belt and braces'. I figure the oil and plug are under pressure so wanted to prevent the risk of blowing it out. I've added a picture of a similar set up. 

By the way, my engine is one of 'yours' (invoice 567) done for a previous owner in  March 2000. Over £3000 pounds worth of kit and to say I am delighted by this car is an understatement. I really feel I have something rather special. My racing chums seem most impressed by its spec.

image_73.jpeg.51d1ef8d19b89a784fd53f9448ac0475.jpeg

If you search ' Original A+ Series blanking plug - replaces the distributor when fitting an ECU' on EBay you'll find the listing, he now says he'll make a bracket to suit, I don't know any more than that as I had a friend  make the bracket for me.

The only pressure that the plug is under is crankcase blow-by pressure from the piston rings. This is absolutely minimal unless the engine has a BIG problem and will be taken care of by the engine breathers in the normal way.

If the plug isn't an interference fit, the 'O' ring is a good idea just to prevent a small leak from the oil splashing around inside the crankcase. I can see nothing wrong with the set up you have other than it's being over-engineered. I suspect that Colin Chapman would not have approved of the extra weight and would have preferred you to use a lightweight  plastic bottle top!

The reason that a Mini part fits a Crossflow is that they both use basically the same dizzy, but the Mini's one is driven by an offset dog drive whereas the Crossflow one uses a gear.

Looks like you have Scott Harrison's engine. Glad to hear that it's still going well after sixteen years.